Search the forum,

Discuss outside garden tap not working?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

farmeben

Help needed..getting peed off with garden tap.
Water will only dribble out of the outside tap, tried a new tap still the same. Its a new house all pipes etc should be fine.
Checked isolation valve that works, there is water getting to the double check valve thats okay, it seem to be between there and the tap that i lose pressure and supply??
Any suggestions??

it has been working fine but seemed to coincide with cold weather when it
stopped working, pipes arent frozen.

please help.

Be

Have you got a check valve somewhere on it that is not working? Is the iso valve knackered?

Help needed..getting peed off with garden tap.
Water will only dribble out of the outside tap, tried a new tap still the same. Its a new house all pipes etc should be fine.
Checked isolation valve that works, there is water getting to the double check valve thats okay, it seem to be between there and the tap that i lose pressure and supply??
Any suggestions??

it has been working fine but seemed to coincide with cold weather when it
stopped working, pipes arent frozen.

please help.

Be
check valve stuck they are a pain in the posterior

could be just the tap washer, turn water of at iso, take of tap turn water back on to test then work back from there.

I had a similar problem after the freezing weather with an outside tap. The supply was fitted (by me) with a double check valve with integral isolation valve, which was well inside the building, so it did not freeze.

After taking things apart and investigating the cause of the dribble, I found that the problem was a permanently jammed and wrecked double check valve (not cheap!). Apparently the tap had frozen and the expanding ice exerted a very high pressure along the supply pipe (about 10" long) and back into the check valve - the wrong way - which must have done the damage.

New double check valve fitted, plus proper winter insulation hood on the outside tap - so it won't happen again! Also, must open the tap for the winter, so no back-pressure is likely to build up.

thanks for all your replies.

I decided to try a new double check valve as it seemed the only thing logical to do, this has solved the problem!!! the frost must have knackered it.
Must remember next winter to turn off the isolation valve and open the tap and drain it out.
Cheers

I currently have this exact problem with both of my garden taps , although neither have double check valves. Last summer the one in the back garden developed a reduced flow, and we found that something in the tap had stuck in the closed position.
After we replaced it, the new one worked as normal. But now, the water flow is just a dribble. The one in the front garden is just the same. Co-incidence or what?

They may have builtin check valves, which may have been damaged with the cold weather.

They look just like standard-size brass taps that you can get for a fiver or less.
It does seem a co-incidence that they've both gone together.

is there a small nut on the tap anywhere other than the on off handle? if so then there is an internal check valve which has stuck.

Nope, no extras, just ordinary taps. Seeing that everything is held in place, I can't figure out what could come adrift inside.

look for a small screw in the side of the tap hear where it screws in if you have one its a non return tap
do what most of us do remove tap and break out the crap platic non return valve
these things are a bloody menace there must be a better design available

Can someone help me..
I'm apprentice plumber
I've fitted a new garden tap with a double check valve inside the house under the kitchen sink with a service valve. Did everything right. This has only started to happen
But what is happing now when the tap is opened slowly a big thund sound happens then no water cones out.

What kind of service valve you used? Also make sure your getting water through check valve could be faulty

is the double check valve fitted the right way round, check the arrow on it just in case, had a job last year and that was the case,

Inverness, was the tap working for a time after you first fitted the non-return valve and isolation valve, and then suddenly stopped working later? If so, you must have fitted the NRV correctly, otherwise it would not have worked at all from the word go!
If so, remove the outside tap and see if water flows out. If not you need a new NRV and/or isolation valve. If water does flow, you need a new outside tap. (Maybe the NRV has got jammed shut with crap from the water supply?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to outside garden tap not working?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock