Search the forum,

Discuss Part p in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would hope the heating engineer is a reasonably competent plumber, but I think the point being made is that being a competent plumber does not make you a reasonably competent heating engineer.

I mean absolutely no disrespect for water plumbers but Electrics and doing Gas Safe approved work is far more complicated and required a lot more knowledge.

I am qualified as a gas safe registered engineer and as an electrician but I was a water plumber for many years first so I can say this with confidence.

Straight plumbing to a good standard is not a simple job but it is nothing like safe or electrics work.

You just seem to think that electrical work is about putting a bit of cable from a to b, you are seriously mistaken, that's why we all train for years in our chosen trades.

Love how people seem to think that I am stupid and have no understanding

Think you`ll find that my mantle mate, only know one thing to any degree of certainty and I made that clear when I joined but boy have I learned lots. lol

No one is against you tommy, I am just trying to say that none of these trades can be taught in a day or two.

Your comment about just doing a 2 day course is never going to win any friends on a professional forum where people have trained for years and are still learning (as I am every day).

No one is against you tommy, I am just trying to say that none of these trades can be taught in a day or two.

Your comment about just doing a 2 day course is never going to win any friends on a professional forum where people have trained for years and are still learning (as I am every day).

tbh you would be lucky if you do it in less than 10 years

You just seem to think that electrical work is about putting a bit of cable from a to b, you are seriously mistaken, that's why we all train for years in our chosen trades.

I don't think anybody has suggested that on this thread - in fact everybody's been pretty respectful of the degree of knowledge required to do electrics, and in favour of training to cover the overlap areas.

No sparkie-bashing! What's happened to this forum??? :p

Masood,

I am certainly not sparky bashing as I am a sparky and gas engineer myself which is why I know how much knowledge and training is involved.

This conversation started on the electricians forum, I have absolutely nothing against tommy I am just trying to point out that you cant take shortcuts.

Tommy, doing your own electrics is a good idea as long as you have ALL the knowledge that is required, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

But legal is legal, I am not the type to wire a pump to a lightning circuit (even the aqualisa are happy enough with that) I am trying to get more involved in the heating side of the job I love plumbing, heating and fault finding i find it satisfying and rewarding regardless of the money.
I basically fit bathrooms non stop and get a lot of work cause I am good but I HATE tiling it does me in I can't stand it no matter how I over price it I still get it cause people like my portfolio.
I want to get away from it and do what I enjoy, I am doing my gas safe next year. At the end of the day legal is legal! If I am gas safe I am legal if I am 17th edition and with niceic I am legal.
What makes a good tradesmen is pride in your work, care, giving a monkeys, knowing your limits, following the rules, common sence and only doing what you can do with in the law

Go for it.
If you are intelligent and operate within your comfort zone youll do fine.
Youll always get doubting thomases.
I might do mine. Used to have it in 2006 but a divorce. Relocating and change of circumstances meant i never bothered

You no that phill. Basically I am not fishing for approval just trying to find out what I need. Like I said legal is legal. If people disapprove then maybe they should take it up with niceic lol
This is the first time I been frustrated on this forum so that clearly proves how's that plumbers are better than argumentative sparkies lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Tommy,

I mean no offence to you at all but this legal is legal argument is a very odd one for someone that takes such pride in their work I would have thought you would want to know as much as possible about something as complicated as electrics rather than just the minimum.

Just because the scams allow you to join DOES NOT mean that you are safe, they are just interested in taking your money, if you hurt and kill someone they are not responsible.

Just having 17th edition wiring regs is no where near enough.

Please tell me how to measure PFC or EFLI and what the different earthing arrangements are and the difference between them? Unless you can do these simple things then you will not be able to complete the required paperwork. A 17th edition 2 day course will not teach you these things.

I think that you should get qualified in electrics but not just to the minimum DIY standard, if you are going to do it then do it properly, get your 2394 cert so you can properly test your installations.

Last edited:
I used to do elecs before gas.
Used to be with Big gash on esd (electrical services division)
And had their part p ticket.
I prefer gas but also been asked a few times lately for leccy work.

Tommy why do you keep going on about the niceic they are not the same as GasSafe although they would have you believe so.

There are other Competent Person Scheme Providers out there who understand that you don't need to digest the whole of the 17th Wiring Regs with all its amendments (cos they couldn't get is right the first time or needed to make a bit more money, or more likely both) to be able to do a simple bit of house wiring.

Last edited:
Well it's niceic who will be doing 17tg edition with if I choose to do it, like I said I no and understand what I can and can't do if I am unsure then I read up on it from the regs, how many people do u no that keek a copy of wras in there van????? I am far from looking for approval, I am trying to move my business in another direction, I go to sleep reading books on central bloody heating as I genuinely love it! I re trained in my mid 20s off my own back out my own pocket and I am f ing good at my job! I did a quote tonight where the first thing she said to me is "I am a fan of your work, I follow your website and facebook and love your work" I am simply trying to do the electrical work that goes hand in hand with my plumbing work!

I used to do elecs before gas.
Used to be with Big gash on esd (electrical services division)
And had their part p ticket.
I prefer gas but also been asked a few times lately for leccy work.

i hope your better than some of the installs/ coms swaps ive seen done :)

I think you would have been better just phoning up the part P scheme providers and asking there requirements then joining the one that let's you join with the least knowledge.

We have all given our advice but you have already made up your mind so good luck with it, I hope it works out.

So in a nutshell you don't agree with the domestic installer scheme

I think you would have been better just phoning up the part P scheme providers and asking there requirements then joining the one that let's you join with the least knowledge.

We have all given our advice but you have already made up your mind so good luck with it, I hope it works out.

It will because I am not a div, I havd the back up of one of the best heating engineers in the game and like wise a dam good sparkie

i hope your better than some of the installs/ coms swaps ive seen done :)
Have to say - ive never seen a baddun !!! (c2002 - 2007 electrics)
At least on eleccy side it was all good - but at that time we could walk on water amd treat like gods lmao - we were the most profitable part of the business and carrying the gas side !!

Have to say - ive never seen a baddun !!! (c2002 - 2007 electrics)
At least on eleccy side it was all good - but at that time we could walk on water amd treat like gods lmao - we were the most profitable part of the business and carrying the gas side !!

well the one i saw they used jbs to extend the circuits (as for lower com) but they left every single lid off, and they tried to fit everything into 4" trunking talk about rats nest :D

Hmmm funny smell with that one lol doesnt ring true.
Im not calling BS... but im not far off it.....[emoji12]

Hmmm funny smell with that one lol doesnt ring true.
Im not calling BS... but im not far off it.....[emoji12]

yep 1000% true the shower circuit was in 3 lengths went white grey white had a big fat bg sticker on the com

Awww well then it must be true..... If you said 999% id have been doubting you, but the 1000% declaration is beyond reproach....[emoji12]

Lets just hope you never come across swaged joints [emoji41] with a BG sticker on heeee horrr

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole problem isn't the players its the game. Blame the cants in whitehall for making up the rules on the advice of people with ulterior motives based on profits.
We are on the wrong end of the game and always will be

Awww well then it must be true..... If you said 999% id have been doubting you, but the 1000% declaration is beyond reproach....[emoji12]

Lets just hope you never come across swaged joints [emoji41] with a BG sticker on heeee horrr

:D prob never will as they always use fittings don't think they own benders as they even use 45s in fittings :) even seen an offset in fittings lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Part p in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock