Search the forum,

Discuss Paying by credit card in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must admit to being surprised at the debate. As a merchant, our preference would be in this order:

Debit card
Credit card
Cash
Invoice on account, paid by BACS
Invoice on account, paid by cheque
Cheque (on the spot)

I appreciate that our business processes are a bit different, but charge backs on cards are trivially small in comparison to bounced cheques, late or unpaid invoices. Large amounts of cash are a pain in the @ss.

Having said that, I would not be surprised if a tradesman didn't want to take a card - and if I wanted to pay that way, I would expect to check before the job started. However, if at the end of the job, he whipped out a card machine and offered to let me pay by card, I would be impressed.

Thank you Ray, exactly what my point is. As for payment methods I've completely eliminated the last 3 methods on your list as I expect to (fairly) and promptly paid for my services upon completion of works.

Sadly Nicro3 "Done it and didnt want to pay, besides still live in the 20th century where trust is a two way thing. And as I say will always collect" may well prove to be your downfall one day when you get bumped for a large 4 figure sum.

Semi retired can afford to have this attitude been there done it and got the t shirt

I'll contact my local Cardsave rep and if enough of you guys are interested, Ill secure a good discount for forum members.

Luck has nothing to do with it. Have worked hard and now work as and when

I'd love to have this, but hate being charged! How dear is it?
As above, contact your local area rep, arrange a meeting and work out an affordable package that suits you, your business and your budget.

Luck has nothing to do with it. Have worked hard and now work as and when
"Lucky" as in your semi retired and you're in the position that you don't have the cash flow worries many other plumbers have. Not meant luck as how hard you've worked. I've worked hard all my life as well but I consider myself both lucky and fortunate to be in the position I am in now.

I'll contact my local Cardsave rep and if enough of you guys are interested, Ill secure a good discount for forum members.

All members interested PM me your email/contact details and I'll contact Cardsave. If we get enough names to get their interest, I'm certain I'll get a good discount, but the final package is the one that YOU chose.

There is also the company that Lee/Bod deals with as well but I know little of them.

Not lucky have worked towards it. PLEASE READ POST
I meant lucky as in fortunate. PLEASE READ POST.

Swings and Roundabouts this, and off topic and I'm not getting drawn into a terminology debate, which is detracting from the helpful post I've offered above about those wanting a card machine. Please leave it alone and let it rest.

I think card save give tenner per introduction or may be more
Not to me they haven't and I've introduced quite a few guys.

I now find your comments very insulting when I'm trying to help others who would like this service. Go away.

"Lucky" as in your semi retired and you're in the position that you don't have the cash flow worries many other plumbers have. Not meant luck as how hard you've worked. I've worked hard all my life as well but I consider myself both lucky and fortunate to be in the position I am in now.

You have what many plumbers lack System3, i.e. good business acumen.

Which is not a dig at anyone on this thread, if someone is in a position to pick and choose, fair enough.

But for anyone starting out and wanting to get established, you make a good role model System.

Making it easy for customers to pay is a basic necessity these days - it's good for business for a number of reasons, not least getting your money on the spot.

I don't like credit of any kind myself because I begrudge paying the interest, but a lot of people manage their finances these days by using credit cards, and there are some very good interest-free deals around, e.g. interest free for up to 16 months.

Count me in. Been looking at different card systems, trying to decide which is best suited to me. I'd be interested in sitting down with someone and negotiating a package that works. I agree totally - card payment is almost obligatory nowadays. Plus it makes a company look so much more professional and solid when they display the logos - it's not necessarily true, but it gives an impression of having some substance behind the company.

System does your card company offer nectar points or similar reward incentives like bods does? Im toying with the idea and am weighing up my monthly costs against customer benefits....
My typical custards price is not as high as yours but typically 2k towards for a heating install

Cheers

Kj

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I've contacted CS and I'll forward on the details of each member who had PM'd me after I hear what discount they will offer. If their are any referal fees I am offered, these will be given to each member who signs up as a further discount.

No one is under ANY OBLIGATION at any time to sign up for anything. That's entirely YOUR choice if after the rep has visited you, that you want to go ahead.

Anyone else interested please PM me before Monday evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a customer isn't willing to pay by card, or give you cash then they obviously havnt got the funds to pay. FACT.

So how do you expect to be paid? I don't want my customers carrying the risk of having thousands of pounds lying around their house just to pay me! Cheques are worse and I feel insulted being offered one. Come on its the 21st Century and card payments have been around since the 1960's. Besides customers love the convenience.

Cash or direct transfer. Like i said thats my opinion.

To all the guys who PM'd me their contact details;

CardSave rep was in my house tonight and the company are going to introduce a block discount for UkPlumber forum members. Expect to be individually contacted as well, as I forwarded all your contact details.

I have mentioned to them about becoming forum sponsors and they are really interested in this idea as well.

Best of luck and I hope you all get your card terminals and moreso up and running before burst pipe season in December!

Anyone else interested in portable card machines, there's still time, just PM me.

My sober opinion of this is -- If you are a one man band and are doing the smaller type jobs or subbying to a builder check in great detail whether this is for you. If you employ staff who take cash it might be for you.,

My sober opinion of this is -- If you are a one man band and are doing the smaller type jobs or subbying to a builder check in great detail whether this is for you. If you employ staff who take cash it might be for you.,

I don't do much subbing, but I am a one-man band, doing smaller stuff, and a terminal would definitely help me. I do a lot of emergency callouts, and there's no way someone with a burst pipe is going to go to the cash machine at 3 AM, nor will they be too impressed if you ask them to log on to online banking and do a transfer. Pull out a card terminal, and nobody bats an eyelid...

I don't do much subbing, but I am a one-man band, doing smaller stuff, and a terminal would definitely help me. I do a lot of emergency callouts, and there's no way someone with a burst pipe is going to go to the cash machine at 3 AM, nor will they be too impressed if you ask them to log on to online banking and do a transfer. Pull out a card terminal, and nobody bats an eyelid...
I ask you how many times on small jobs have you been knocked. If you keep getting trouble in collecting money maybe its for you. As far as 3 am callouts are concerned a customers card or cheque book might not be produced, collect later. Please do the sums with these cash machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Paying by credit card in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have wrote on here before regarding this issue but it's now went one stage further. I am a sole trader and I done work for a bathroom showroom at the start of this year. Basically we got 4 jobs down and never seen any payment and now the company has closed. Does anyone know if there...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the problem as being that the hot water element in the immersion tank needed replacing. (I don't know exactly what it is called as the company has still...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the problem as being that the hot water element in the immersion tank needed replacing. (I don't know exactly what it is called as the company has still...
Replies
Views
Johnno1966
J
J
Replies
Views
Hi I have a little problem or a question if all you experienced people can put me straight please? I am just a bit surprised - I had a call out for a plumbing job - in London - the flat is rented out. The kitchen sink was blocked. I called out one company, they did not fix it, and that was £95...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock