Search the forum,

Discuss Paying by credit card in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Send me his number , I've got yours

Ouch!

Just had a letter of them to photo copy my id and drop it in at the nearest natwest.Must be cos they didn't come and see me.

I agree Ray, card holder not present has a higher risk if you are dealing with a stranger. However, if you know the person and did work for them at their home, then it can be a convenient method of getting paid.

Well I could tell you about the letter that Bod posted to me last week addressed to "Scotlands sexiest Plumber", but I won't.

Oh what a shame, too late. :prrr:

I wanted to do this as I operate in a rural area and I thought that the monthly fee was cheaper in time and fuel than one 18 mile round trip to my bank.

Bad experience for me I am afraid. I spoke to the Cardsave Sales rep, it sounded good and I had a contract emailed to me. Contract was in my business name, wrong address and had details of two people I had not heard of as Directors. Not the best of starts!

Rang to ask what had happened. Apparently despite me providing my full details, they had cut and paste the address and Directors details from the Companies House website - problem is - wrong company. The person I spoke to apologised and blamed it on someone who processes forms. He asked if I simply wanted to cancel. I must say that I lost confidence at that stage and decided to not proceed.

I know it is a simple error, but I will need some convincing I they are going to start handling payments for me.

Sorry to be negative as I am sure many if you are more than happy. Perhaps someone can feed this back to Cardsafe. If they had not got this wrong I would now be waiting for my new terminal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's a really bad experience to have right at the start - did you speak to a manager about what had happened?

It's a serious human error, but then people do have bad days, however, it seems their systems are not picking up such mistakes.

If it was me, I would ring the company and ask how such an error got past the gate-keeping that you would expect them to have in place to stop things like this happening - if I didn't get a satisfactory answer I would ask to speak to a more senior manager.

If there's a hole in their systems that needs plugging, maybe they could convince you that they have learned from the mistake and persuade you to give them another go.

In the event that they don't seem bothered about getting their systems right, then you would be well advised to go elsewhere.

In the current market situation being able to offer credit card/ and other plastic facilities has got to be good for your business, so don't allow their loss to become your loss too by not looking into other companies offering similar services.

Good advice, I was steaming when it happened, but I will make contact as it does seem like a good deal, and at the end of the day if it makes my business more efficient then I would be foolish to ignore it because of a silly mistake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Piped team leave contact for a few days and I'll contact them to find out what the hell happened. I'll get them to contact you direct with a reply.

My machine was waiting for me when I got home this lunch time. I'll have a good read about it tonight when I get home. :)

Big thankyou to system3 (colin). Cheers.

Last edited:
2.75% does sound a lot!

Should be less than that for credit cards and hardly anything for debit cards.

World pay are doing a card reader now as well using mobile phone type technology, free reader 65p debit, 3.3% credit card. Credit card is steep but you can always go halves on it with customer I suppose, say 2% charge for using it. I liked the sound of it as its no contract or standing charges so if you don't use it for 6 months its no bother.

Last edited:
Also it's a proper card machine not some dodgy looking skimming device stuck in the en of your phone

I applied for the Worldpay pilot scheme that gives you the free terminal, yesterday, I'm hoping to receive everything within a couple of weeks.

It was the no monthly charge, the free terminal and the low debit card charge that did it for me.

I think it's ideal for those that are unsure and want to test it out without any upfront costs or commitments. Perfectly ideal if you're only going to have a low card turnover, so will be cheaper.

I just hope they don't slap a big charge on it after the pilot ends.

There's an advert in the Gas Installer magazine for this, towards the end.

World pay are doing a card reader now as well using mobile phone type technology, free reader 65p debit, 3.3% credit card. Credit card is steep but you can always go halves on it with customer I suppose, say 2% charge for using it. I liked the sound of it as its no contract or standing charges so if you don't use it for 6 months its no bother.

Also it's a proper card machine not some dodgy looking skimming device stuck in the en of your phone

What ever you think works for you. I know what works for me. If you'd rather have rental charges & a merchant account (which you don't need with iZettle) that's up to you. I like it all free of charge!

2.75% does sound a lot!

Should be less than that for credit cards and hardly anything for debit cards.

£27.50 for £1000 a lot? Time away from work to put cheque in bank, fuel costs to & from the bank, bounced cheque after 5 days then chase payment. I'd rather pay the 2.75% or at least split it with the customer

I applied for the Worldpay pilot scheme that gives you the free terminal, yesterday, I'm hoping to receive everything within a couple of weeks.

It was the no monthly charge, the free terminal and the low debit card charge that did it for me.

I think it's ideal for those that are unsure and want to test it out without any upfront costs or commitments. Perfectly ideal if you're only going to have a low card turnover, so will be cheaper.

I just hope they don't slap a big charge on it after the pilot ends.

There's an advert in the Gas Installer magazine for this, towards the end.

did same yesterday, will see.

Me too, if card payments prove successful you can always swap to a rental contract.

worldpay is also completely free bubblecraft

Last edited:
I guess its good for big company not sole traders as it might encourage fraud

Just had an email from Dan about credit card machines now being advertised here. I use iZettle. Have been for a while. Better than any company out there & no monthly fees. Machine is free (well £20 & you get that back) & plugs directly into your mobile phone. 2.75% per transaction.

Check them out.
www.izettle.com
iZettle - Payments Made Easy - YouTube
iZettle - Payments On The Go - YouTube

Bubblecraft, how do your clients react to a Visa payment on that system, which looks a little clumsy? Are they generally confident, reluctant..?

I have done it through my bank, you get a portable machine, also paypal payments i except
it goes both ways customer has no need to have cash in the house even in emergency and i am not carrying sums of cash round

I have no monthly fee, i only have to pay a small amount for the terminal thats all i will pay nothing more for
the advantage of this its far better

I've had a GPRS terminal for two years provided by cardsave, never had any problems, never had a charge back although there is a cost involved. Debit cards cost 20p and credit cards cost me 1.55%. if a customer pays by credit card I charge the 1.55%

In the process of getting a MPED from Pay yours £9.95 a month with £15 minimum charge for card transactions although the cost per card is higher the reduced rental will save me £££

I've had a GPRS terminal for two years provided by cardsave, never had any problems, never had a charge back although there is a cost involved. Debit cards cost 20p and credit cards cost me 1.55%. if a customer pays by credit card I charge the 1.55%

In the process of getting a MPED from Pay yours £9.95 a month with £15 minimum charge for card transactions although the cost per card is higher the reduced rental will save me £££

Just for your info thought i would let you all know the monthly costs that I currently pay or have been quoted:
Cardsave minimum monthly card transaction fee £25 + £35 rental of the GPRS terminal. (debit cards 20p credit cards 1.55% this is what makes up the £25 min fee)

PAYYOURS minimum monthly card transaction fee £15 + £9.95 rental of chip n pin pad (debit cards 46p credit cards 2.65%)

Dont know about world pay except the card transaction charges are 65p debit cards and 3.3% credit cards

80% of my card payments are debit cards but thats because I mostly do repairs and services

even though mobile.worldpay have the highest card charges if they have, as has been said, no monthly charges they are the cheapest for my business.
can anyone confirm they have no monthly rental or minimum card transaction fee?

I think all they have is a maximum 29,000? yearly card turnover limit.
I don't think there are any minimum transaction limits, but there is a maximum limit of £5,000 on one card.

Just received the email from Dan regarding card machines.
I have a terminal from Cardsave, which I've had for about 8 months and haven't had any problems so far.
I don't use it a great deal but it is useful to have. I'm interested in what some of you are saying about no monthly charge, I'll have to look into this in more detail.
Cheers

Bubblecraft, how do your clients react to a Visa payment on that system, which looks a little clumsy? Are they generally confident, reluctant..?

Never had any doubts from my customers as I have a very trustworthy reputation. Can't see why it looks clumsy. Connected to your phone is the way forward. No humfing big devices with you. Can fit in your wallet!

All these other devices look great & the option to take Maestro @ only 65p charge but require merchant or business bank accounts. My iZettle is registered to my personal bank account.

I'd be interested in the world pay one if I could link it with my personal bank account but remember, this is just a pilot. Wait for the fees to hit later.

In the meantime, I'm happy with iZettle & Paypal for all other cards. Works for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
had to charge back an on line butchers once, asked for a delivery of quality pork cuts to make a stock, when it came they had made a right pigs ear of the order! :)

I had a similar problem with a butchers, I was having a party and ordered a load of lamb mince, they were too sheepish with the portions so left me no choice.

Are you finding a lot of clients asking for card payments then? I've not had one single enquiry about paying by card so not sure if this is worth investing in or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Paying by credit card in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have wrote on here before regarding this issue but it's now went one stage further. I am a sole trader and I done work for a bathroom showroom at the start of this year. Basically we got 4 jobs down and never seen any payment and now the company has closed. Does anyone know if there...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the problem as being that the hot water element in the immersion tank needed replacing. (I don't know exactly what it is called as the company has still...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the problem as being that the hot water element in the immersion tank needed replacing. (I don't know exactly what it is called as the company has still...
Replies
Views
Johnno1966
J
J
Replies
Views
Hi I have a little problem or a question if all you experienced people can put me straight please? I am just a bit surprised - I had a call out for a plumbing job - in London - the flat is rented out. The kitchen sink was blocked. I called out one company, they did not fix it, and that was £95...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock