Search the forum,

Discuss Pink residue / staining on surfaces in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there, I’m wondering whether anyone has come across this problem before. Moved into my house a few years back and I noticed on nearly all surfaces where water comes into contact with there was a pink residue (e.g bathroom walls and grout, toilet pan, sinks) . Some areas worse than others. Whole house has been refurbed, everywhere bleached etc but over time this residue returns. I’m Constantly bleaching everywhere. It mainly occurs in the shower area as I assume this is because the curtain and walls dry off themselves instead of being wiped down with a cloth. Doesn’t take long for this residue to start showing so I’m constantly cleaning these areas. Phoned water company who said it’s not their problem as the water quality is fine and I should contact a plumber. The pipe to the house is the original lead one so I’m assuming it could be coming from that? Anyone had this issue before and know how to resolve it? Any help would be appreciated.

Have a look in the cold water tank if you have one

Use the search box, this has been raised before.
It will not harm you.

Vaguely orange (to near rust colour) residue in showers/baths is usually just soap scum
/body fat/cosmetics etc caught in unseen limescale, bleach whitens it for a bit but descaling removes the anchor point.

Vaguely orange (to near rust colour) residue in showers/baths is usually just soap scum
/body fat/cosmetics etc caught in unseen limescale, bleach whitens it for a bit but descaling removes the anchor point.

Its a light pink in colour. It’s not just in the bath, it appears around anywhere where it’s left to dry naturally, e.g appears on the shower head, base of shower curtain, grout on walls, around the toilet pan, sink / bath drain areas. I’m guessing it’s a harmless bacteria which lives in damp conditions. That’s what google is saying anyway. Ive bleached all areas to high heaven so I’m guessing it just is what it is and it’ll never fully go away unless every surface is dried fully after every use, which is obviously not possible.

Pink residue indicates bacteria. Theres more info if you google it.

haha didn't mean the caps

Haha! I’m worried in case it’s because I’m brushing something else :eek: ....issue solved now anyway. Natural harmless bacteria by the looks of it, just got to keep things as dry as possible to try and fully eliminate it. Probably impossible though with the way the wife runs the electric shower for 10 mins before she gets in it to get it ‘warm’ :rolleyes:

Use the search box, this has been raised before.
It will not harm you.
Haha! I’m worried in case it’s because I’m brushing something else :eek: ..issue solved now anyway. Natural harmless bacteria by the looks of it, just got to keep things as dry as possible to try and fully eliminate it. Probably impossible though with the way the wife runs the electric shower for 10 mins before she gets in it to get it ‘warm’ :rolleyes:
As said it will not kill you!

This is a form of mould only pink instead of black, thrives in warm damp places hence it being a problem in the bathroom. If you wipe the shower/bath area after use it will help but you may find that this problem will return. It’s just a problem of life our local water athourity has told me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pink residue / staining on surfaces in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Plumbersforums, I’m not a plumber, but a tenant with a possible plumbing issue. I live in a 100+ year-old walkup, and my landlord renovates apartments without a permit. A few years ago, he installed a washer/dryer in the apartment above mine, in the closet above my closet. Two days ago, I...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
We had the bathrooms replaced when we moved in 2 years ago. This involved 2x bathrooms and 1x WC. Within the first few weeks, we noticed leaking from the en-suite down into the reception room and the fitter promptly came and repaired it, it was something to do with the area under the sink. We...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to you? I suspect that my long ongoing rotting veg/sewage smell is caused by a fault in this connection that has been hidden from previous inspections...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years old now and was amazing when it was first installed. Around a year ago we had a problem with water dripping from the overflow pipe outside and we ended...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock