Currently reading:
USA Pipe diameter affecting gas usage.

Discuss Pipe diameter affecting gas usage. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I'm being told one thing by an engineer sent by my supplier and another by one from my landlord, I'd greatly appreciate some advice on which ones telling the truth, thank you.

I moved into a flat and found that my gas bills were extraordinarily high, my supplier sent out an engineer who replaced the gas meter, when doing so he commented that the cause of the problem could be that the pipe going from the meter to the boiler was only 15mm when it ought to be 22.

Having checked the meter they said it wasn’t at fault, so I contacted my landlord and told them what the engineer had said about the pipe being the cause; however they insisted that it was the right size of pipe for the boiler.

Although not admitting any fault my landlord agreed to replace my central heating system because it was due for replacement as part of a home improvement program. The engineer who came to fit the new system commented that the pipe going from the meter to the boiler was not the correct size for the new boiler, which is a Worcester Greenstar 30i ERP, so he fitted a new 22mm pipe for it.

Though pleased with the new system I was left with a hefty gas bill due to the previous one using so much gas, so I told my landlord what their own engineer had said and asked for compensation, but they again insisted that the pipe was the right size for the old boiler.

My old boiler was a Worcester 28cdi and I’d like advice on whether the 15mm pipe that went from it to the gas meter was in fact the incorrect size?

I’ve downloaded the installation instructions for this boiler, and on page 5 table 7 it does seem to me to say that it requires a 22mm pipe, however as I’m not an expert I can’t be sure. You can download the instructions on Google by typing Worcester 28cdi manual and clicking the top result on the page which is a PDF of it.

Thank you again for any advice you can offer.

wont be heat leaking through the walls normally find them about a foot thick plus

Depending on carrying out your gas pipe sizing calculations you can't make a statement saying that it has to be in 22 when 28 is required based on the calculation and whatever appliances are in the property

If the MIs (Manufacturers Instructions) say it needs 22mm, then that is what it needs.

No MIs will state a certain pipe size. They may give a minimum, but they will always specify correctly sized pipework.

As Riley said - it might need bigger pipe, calculations will tell you what's needed. But equally, if the meter is right next to the boiler, even 15mm might work.

Reply to Pipe diameter affecting gas usage. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock