Search the forum,

Discuss Pipe Freezing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanios

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

Just been to a job, ceised stopcock no outside isolation, I froze the pipe below stopcock took it off was going to put the new on old nut and olive but alas it didn't want to fit properly as olive was too far down.
Only option was olive cutters at this point and I decided to just put the old stopcock back on instead. If plug went as I cut the olive it would have been game over.

Made me think about when is it actually safe or wise to use freezing kits. When do you guys use them and are there any situations like mine where you thought it too risky?

Too risky (electric freezer) when:

1. In the same situation as yours.
2. Having to solder less than 450mm above, 750mm below, 600 mm either side.

Always have 15/22mm compression and push fit stop ends ready. Always have 15/22mm lever valves ready. Be very careful on plastic pipe as freezing heads (Rothenberger) can slide off. If freezing close to compression fitting, freeze, undo, suck all residual water out otherwise it freezes to end of pipe and makes olive and fitting difficult to fit.

tbh you have to have balls of steel when working with freezers close to where your frozen

but you should of been ok to use olive cutters and keep the freezer kit going while your working

and always have a back up and pre-pair to get wet if you need to

you prob would of been fine tbh

I tend to freeze well away from the area I'm working, always have fittings ready in case it goes pete tong. I try and freeze near bends or tees, if the ice is frozen in a straight piece of pipe it can move, then if it does move it's hitting a fitting. This may be the wrong way but just how I was taught.

Yeh i always try and avoid sweating near a freeze point. Steam or drips are guaranteed (with my luck) to create fubar.

Id have no hesitations using compression though. Even on incoming.
Just put both freeze heads about 3 inch apart will create a good 7 to 8 inch ice plug.

Hi all,

Just been to a job, ceised stopcock no outside isolation, I froze the pipe below stopcock took it off was going to put the new on old nut and olive but alas it didn't want to fit properly as olive was too far down.
Only option was olive cutters at this point and I decided to just put the old stopcock back on instead. If plug went as I cut the olive it would have been game over.

Made me think about when is it actually safe or wise to use freezing kits. When do you guys use them and are there any situations like mine where you thought it too risky?

I gen use a kit when a) no stopcock b) don't have time to search the entire flat for a stopcock c) that old gate valve looks like it won't turn back on if I touch it

Stupidly I love the risk of using a freezer kit (strange I know) - but I've cut olives off even when freezing about an inch away from where I'm cutting. As long as the plug is there, unless you completely crush the pipe cutting an olive off with cutters (not hacksaw - even my balls aren't that steely) you'll be alright. Since getting my freezemaster I don't really use my gas kit any more, that way I don't have to bring a spare pair of pants every time I freeze a pipe :p

I tend to freeze well away from the area I'm working, always have fittings ready in case it goes pete tong. I try and freeze near bends or tees, if the ice is frozen in a straight piece of pipe it can move, then if it does move it's hitting a fitting. This may be the wrong way but just how I was taught.

If that plug moves I don't think a tee or fitting will stop it in my opinion, as the plug will have cracked and will dislodge and once it's moved the warmer temp of the water in a different part of the pipe will melt it quick enough anyway

when i freeze a pipe i have my wet hover at hand a push fit cap full bore valve and hep pipe fitted to it leave valve open so if it goes wrong you can sill push it on the mains do the nut up then shut it down when the joint is tight i have done is live in sertain cases its haveing the nuts to do it?

I gen use a kit when a) no stopcock b) don't have time to search the entire flat for a stopcock c) that old gate valve looks like it won't turn back on if I touch it

Stupidly I love the risk of using a freezer kit (strange I know) - but I've cut olives off even when freezing about an inch away from where I'm cutting. As long as the plug is there, unless you completely crush the pipe cutting an olive off with cutters (not hacksaw - even my balls aren't that steely) you'll be alright. Since getting my freezemaster I don't really use my gas kit any more, that way I don't have to bring a spare pair of pants every time I freeze a pipe :p

That's scary to me though... I've seen quite a few people with bad luck ... where the plug came off and mains water was running all the time ... that would be my fear in this trade

freezing machines are great and should be ok as long as the machine keeps freezing and doesnt chuck it like mine does without warning.

Just put the new stopcock above the old one if possible.

I always feel nervous using freeze machines but they are a decent bit of kit.

Wasnt sure if the body would fit the old stopcock. Anyway wasnt enough money in it to take any risk.. Customers want to pay the same they dont care if you are risking your health, business, livelihood so why take that chance?

My next big purchase is an electric freezer. Freezing can really keep you out of the brown poopy stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipe Freezing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock