Search the forum,

Discuss pipe run for new stove in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah right there, new here. I'm putting in a 16kw boiler stove in my house, with a vented (seems to be a fighting point on plumbing forums) cylinder. Want to do as much pipe work as i can, guy that came out to give a price to do all/part of the job aint got back to me with numbers (2 weeks now) and need to get pipes through as holding up bits of the job.
I think he said no more than 3 metres horizontal pipework for unvented if they would sign off stove for building regs. The stove is 5ft from wall to the left off it, i need to go through this wall upstairs to get to cylinder cupboard.
So can go straight up into bedroom then horizontal with one 90 degree then back 3ft and through the wall straight into cylinder cupboard, or is it as well to go diagonal up from the stove down stairs instead of having the 90 degree bend upstairs? Was thinking in 28mm copper pipe (upstairs is having a false floor down (4 inch kingspan so can hide pipes easily if needed) Have building inspector here as weve put an extension on but not bothered about having it signed off as we wont be moving, it just needs to be safe. Many thanks.

you need to be qualified for anything solid fuel so best bet is to get a hetas engy in

They said i can do such as much or little as i like, running pipes etc as long as done right and they would give price for supply of stove, cylinder and connecting all up and certifying it all. If im not bothered about it being signed off im tempted to diy it? I've just run all my cabling upstairs in the new bit and was going to pay an electrician to certify it when the whole job is finished.
Not really bothered if its signed off we wont be moving, had to get building inspector because we have extended the house but not sure i can justify paying thousands for running bits of pipe.

It is much more than "running bits of pipe"!
I couldn't have attempted any of that sort of work until I had several years of hands on experience, tbh, at least 10 years, so what is your experience of plumbing? Can you bend 28mm copper pipe in a frame bender? I know a lot of 'plumbers' who can't. Can you solder really well?
Not being rude, just giving honest opinion, - if you asked me to price a job, (particularly that sort of skilled job) that you were going to do the most of the pipework, I wouldn't come back.
What is this "vented" and "unvented"?
If it is an unvented cylinder, then you can't just connect to it with solid fuel and also needs a G3 unvented qualified plumber. It is also notifiable.
You can't use any smaller than 28mm, so not sure why you mention pipe size? The stove instructions must be adhered to, - and that also is part of building regs that you do.
I can't see the bulk of the pipework costing thousands in labour.
Is it just down to affordability?

I've just run all my cabling upstairs in the new bit and was going to pay an electrician to certify it when the whole job is finished.
Hi Sausage - picking up on the electrical aspects only - most Electrician's will not sign off this. End of. A part of the certificate is the installation method for the cables and this will not have been done or witnessed by them. Best advice is to get an Electrician involved now, just saying.

Its just i could do with getting the corner sorted were its going through as its holding up the false floor and the dry lining and plastering, going to knock through this morning. If i get the heating shop to do it all there will be markup on all items and they dont do all the products i want, they arent exactly quick off the mark either, so the temptation to diy.
I want a 5oo ltr vented thermal store with phe, i have put 6kw of solar on the roof (diy so that probably wont get signed off anyway) and want a solar heating coil in cylinder. I have free wood so wont be using a gas/oil boiler. The heatbank excel or one of those baffled german tanks on e-bay (about ÂŁ500) seem to fit the bill.
Have soldered before but not the best at it but brother and father in law have, but dont mind paying for someone private to come round and solder up and commission.
The 6kw solar pv quote was ÂŁ10.000 installed.. i did it for ÂŁ3500 including integrated solar trays. Just wondered what the difference in pipe angle or horizontal length has, building regs wise and on its ability to thermosyphon?

Wouldn't bother having buildings insurance either. Won't be worth the paper its written on.

Hi Sausage - picking up on the electrical aspects only - most Electrician's will not sign off this. End of. A part of the certificate is the installation method for the cables and this will not have been done or witnessed by them. Best advice is to get an Electrician involved now, just saying.

Electrician here will test circuits at plugs and cu and sign them off, similar neighbour has just installed all his own ground source, they drilled bore hole, he put in all piping, heat exchanger, soldered all pipe work etc off schematics the company gave him and they have commissioned it and signed it off for him. He did ground works for a living otherwise all rest learnt diy.
Im not bothered now if its signed off. 2/3rds of the house cant be signed off anyway.. seems ridiculous to me, structural engineers to say what woods on 5 metre span floor and lintels, rsj's etc then look behind 10ft away in the old bit (250 year old) under every window is a bit of very bent 5x3 rough sawn timber holding up 10 foot by 3 foot of stone work over the sash windows! Fine to leave not covered by regs on new extension bin there hundred years.

All gravity feed pipework from stove needs to be bent, cant use 90 elbows.

All gravity feed pipework from stove needs to be bent, cant use 90 elbows.

I was going to use a 45 half way up the wall and then it would be fairly straight there after, is this a building reg to do with vented only? or purely on a gravity system? It will be a pumped system unless a falt or power cut etc. Sounds a little over the top for a tank only 3metres away on a diagonal.

Electrician here will test circuits at plugs and cu and sign them off ...
Hi - BS7671 Electrical Installation Certificate requires the installation method and workmanship be confirmed. An Electrician would do this by doing the installation themselves or by staged inspections of a supervised person's work. Testing at the plug and CU is important but not sufficient, I'm afraid. Perhaps you are describing a Condition Report?

Have the 28mm pipes bent by a plumber using a bending machine.
Where you have to do a horizontal run, it just needs a slight rise, especially on a short length.
Critical that the pipe is supported so to keep it at a continual rise.

A bit of knowledge and ability will enable you to install what you want but on your head be it. Your suggesting a system that most plumbers have never even seen let alone designed one that works efficiently and as desired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to pipe run for new stove in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock