Search the forum,

Discuss Pipe sizing from and to combination boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gary50

Hi Guys,

Ive been in the game for 15 years now and would like to know others opinions on a matter:

Basically is there any benefit from running 22mm main into combi and 22mm pipe out to all outlets.

The way i see it is even if you have 30lpm on incoming main then combi will reduce down to its given flow rate (lets say 15lpm) so pointless doing it.

The builder i work for has said he wants everything in 22mm then reducing down at last points as you would with unvented.

Im hoping someone can tell me I'm right and give me some reasons why not to run in 22mm to shove back at him!

I personally think having all pipe work in 15mm is acceptable.

With the above scenario even with two bathrooms would increasing pipe sizes help with volume of water in any way?

Thanks!

I cant see the point..if anything its wasteful.
All that extra volume of 22mm stone cold water needs displacing with hot.

Obviously exceeding certain flow speeds increases noise - but never had an issue with a combi - Even bigguns..in domestic properties

Its only a 15 out. Why waste money. Builder wants a slap and stick to bricks and mortar.

Even on an unvented hot water system to use 22mm on entire run of hot pipe can be wrong. When you open a hot tap you could wait an entire minute before the hot water fills the pipe and comes out of tap. Very frustrating and waste of hot water. Tell the builder that!
Although I hate the stuff, - 10mm pipe on branches to taps on unvented or combi systems gives a speedy and less wasteful hot flow.
To be fair to the builder, he is thinking about it being done with good flow, but he isn't the plumber.

Historically we use 22mm or even 28mm pipework due to low pressure. Its all changed since unvented systems are used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipe sizing from and to combination boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
A
Hi there, I recently purchased a flat that was built in 2016. The apartment is still under the NHBC 10yr warranty. Since moving in, I discovered that the rainwater pipe that runs through my winter garden balcony at one end of the property is connected to a combined water/sewage system with the...
Replies
Views
Amelia
A
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to sort all of my rads and do some other bits including fitting a filter but I'm stumped on how to drain down due to how the system is put together...
Replies
Views
Hi there, Apologies for the mammoth post but my neighbours and I really need some advice... I recently purchased a flat that was built in 2016. The apartment is still under the NHBC 10yr warranty. Since moving in, I discovered that the rainwater pipe that runs through my winter garden balcony...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Just a query about what size in KW gas combi boiler do I need for a top floor flat (3rd floor). I have a Vokera Easi heat plus (20kW) gas combi boiler and it does the job, the radiators never go as hot as the should for example there are ten dots on the heat dial but the radiators...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock