Search the forum,

Discuss Pipes in concrete/screed floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

I should know this, but haven't done it in a screed before.

Have one radiator to connect to an existing system for an extension.

The extension has a concrete floor and the pipes to be laid will be buried in screed.

What's the best method to adopt? I was intending to use copper and have thought about what I might be able to sleeve it with.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Plenty here done for years just with Armaflex or cheaper insulation, at best.
Supposed to run ducts (ideally around edge of floor)

Will the floor not have Kingspan insulation board on top of sub floor first?

I worked on a job where the insulation board was cut around the pipes that were insulated with Armaflex. All about same depth of the insulated pipes. Then a thinner sheet of insulation board was put over the top of entire boards including pipes.

Good idea, I can always channel in the celotex and then cover up. Thanks.

If the insulation board was put in two base layers, - say 2 of 50mm instead of 1 of 100mm, or whatever, then you can sometimes put the first layer down and run the pipes on top, cutting a piece out if you have to cross below to tee off at any points. That way the insulated pipes are also sitting on the insulation. Then you cut the next layer of insulation board to the pipes and a final third layer of insulation board covering whole floor.
It is actually better insulation to use 2 foil coated insulation boards rather than 1 heavier board obviously because of extra foil sides
I think 15mm pipes tend to be at least 50mm thick including Armaflex, so you might need next size up of board to be at least same level as the pipes it surrounds.

Last edited:
Yes that's the one never know how to spell it :D

I don`t normally jump in on spellings, think it`s kind of rude TBH, thought maybe you were texting whilst waiting for traffic lights to change or something like that.

I don`t normally jump in on spellings, think it`s kind of rude TBH, thought maybe you were texting whilst waiting for traffic lights to change or something like that.

Naa I just suck at spelling lol

Porous yes, but in a dry screed mix cant really see much of a problem and haven't seen a problem either. I have often worked on existing pipes which have been lagged in hirfelt - extending existing pipe runs etc - and have never found any issues with the pipes, some of which have been in place for good 40/50 years.

Armaflex would be great but the cost is substantially more!! Never come across pipes in screed lagged with armaflex, seen plenty of pipes buried in screed with no lagging though!

Any thing's got to better than no lagging, job I was on a week ago had old newspaper wrapped around the pipe. Daily Sketch, August 1972!

Ok chaps.

What I've done is used 25mm flexi conduit to sleeve the copper, to protect it. No insulation on it as it's above celotex boards, so it's in the warm part, just to be covered with screed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipes in concrete/screed floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have decided to remove the timber floor boards and joists as they are effected by damp and rotting. Was hoping to infill and have slab and screed floor. There is a gas servile pipe under the floor which enters the property below the joists at the front of the house and comes up under the...
Replies
Views
Evening all, I’m currently in the process of refurbing my house, and have opted to wet UFH for the whole of the downstairs. The upstairs will be radiators. The flooring I’ve chosen is 14mm thick engineered wood and I just wanted to know the best way to do things. At current, the builder was...
Replies
Views
Bungalow built in 2001. All copper pipework (water and heating) runs in channels of expanded foam polystyrene between a concrete floor and OSB boards. Pipe are lagged in stitched felt and what looks like bubble wrap with sand (?) over the top. During the bathroom refit, I lifted up some of the...
Replies
Views
T
I have some internal water pipes (some plastic, some copper) that have to go under the kitchen floor. There is no way around having to do this. Rest of floor is concrete and pipes are currently in a trench (approx 5-6 cms deep, 4-5 cms wide). The trench will need to be concreted over before...
Replies
Views
TAGolko
T
Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up & made safe for now, have had affected pipe cut & put end caps on. Work required Full bathroom remove old tiles walls and floor. Renew tiling. New...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock