Search the forum,

Discuss Pipework heat capacity? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammathias

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I have a customer who wants to upgrade the size of his living room rad from a 600*1000p+ to a 600x1400k2.

the existing rad is on 10mm pipe probably about 12metres in total, doesnt take alot of working out that the new rad wont work very well off 10mm pipe but try telling customer that, he thinks im having him on....can anyone point me in the right direction on a document covering heatloss through pipes etc so i can show him?

Also i havent been able to access this site for nearly a week, has it been down?

Also that rad will be fine on 10mm just

Seen bigger and they work, but I wouldn't go over 1.4m on 10mm tho

Sludge-free 10mm should be able to supply the new radiator with enough heat.

The risk is that the reason the customer wants to upgrade is that the current radiator is correctly sized but is not hot enough because the 10mm is full of crud. If this is the case, changing the radiator is going to make no difference.

Measure the delta T at the current radiator if it is large (say more than 10°C) and doesn't reduce significantly when the lockshield is opened I'd suspect sludge in the 10mm pipework.

Opinions differ about whether it is worth trying to flush sludge out of 10mm.

You can get a couple of KW out of 10mm, just the water is going to be about room temperature by the time it gets out of the rad. Better to consider a second rad if it helps matters.

10mm will do 2kw fine, the pipe length/ resistance is more important along with the system being balanced well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipework heat capacity? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock