Search the forum,

Discuss Plastic and copper pipe sizing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I am going to replace hot and cold 15mm copper pipe with a plastic system. The hot water is from a combi boiler and the cold water pipe is at mains pressure. The pipe lengths are about 10m each. Looking at the internal bore of 15mm plastic pipe, it’s much smaller than 15mm copper. To ensure sensible flow rates should the replacement plastic pipe be 22mm, or will 15mm plastic pipe, under mains pressure allow sufficient flow?

Many thanks

Why are you replacing the times ?

Hi Scott,

Don’t know at the moment, but the feeds have to supply kitchen and 2 bathrooms and a big bath ... and a combi boiler. I think you might have answered the question!

Last edited:
Not my area, however did I read somewhere about plastic being used after a certain distance from a boiler.

Hi Scott,

Don’t know at the moment, but the feeds have to supply kitchen and 2 bathrooms and a big bath . and a combi boiler. I think you might have answered the question!

Measured it today, it’s 12 litres a minute at the kitchen tap on full bore. Upstairs on the bath tap it’s at 15 lpm . I think the lower value on the kitchen tap is down to a flexible hose tap connector.

Sticking in an extra 20 m of narrow bore 15 mm plastic is going to do no good.

I have been reading about the flow resistance of pipe of different bores. 1m of 15mm has the same flow resistance as 7m of 22mm. I have a lot of 22 mm copper and I think I might use on the cold water side to keep the pressure up to make sure flow rate is not restricted, by the extra pipe length.

Reply to Plastic and copper pipe sizing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

L
Hello Please could I have some advice. I recently had an new air source pump and hot water tank system installed. The pipes to the radiators are copper. However, there is plastic pipes to the taps for hot and cold water. I have found a leak in the connection of a plastic pipe. First...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed supply and all 6 in the block have a shared rising main pipe (I think unless there is meant to be more than one). Kitchen: From the ground floor to...
Replies
Views
A
The bath taps have 22mm inlets currently the cold water mains 15mm is fixed to the tap by a copper adapter 15mm to 22mm. The hot water is 22mm gravity fed. Is it ok to add a 15mm T to the cold water pipe and then add 22ml adaptor to the T to connect to a 22m TMV . I cannot find any TMValves...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a leak on the live side of one of my rads, in the GF loo. Its a condensing combi system, the house is only 5 years old, so fairly new. The leak is at the bottom compression fitting on the lockshield rad valve. The rad is a chromed steel towel rail, and the valve is brass/copper, the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock