Search the forum,

Discuss Plastic or Copper piping? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JoB333

Hello,

I need to replace the Galvanized Steel pipes in my central heating system, the question is weather to use Copper of Plastic.

I have heard plastic can have the following issues

1: Joints come loose over time and leak
2: Joints suck in air over time, meaning more bleeding of the system etc.
3: Mice or other rodent (not that I have a known issue with rodents) eat these pipes where as they do not eat copper pipes.

As far as plastic goes I heard Hep02 is the best one to go for?

As far as copper goes I have heard TaraCorp Sterling Lead Free Solder is the best in the industry, but cannot seem to find this for sale at UK outlets, does anyone know where I can by TaraCort Sterling solder/water based flux?

Basically I guess the main question is if it was your house and you were intending to live there for the next 30 years or so which would you install?

Thank everyone in advance,
JoB

If it was my house, I would always install with copper - no real reason just my preference. Cant comment on the solder/flux you are talking about - but in my opinion a standard lead free solder with a good flux (laco, fry) etc would do just perfect

Copper all the way. Taracorp looks to be the industry standard in the usa. We're a little less discerning. your plumber will have his preference for solder and flux. Mine is any lead free and Powerflow.

Personally copper for me, any lead free solder (although for heating you can use leaded) and powerflow flux.

If you go for plastic I normally use jg speedfit I find it better, but thats just my opinion.

If you do a search on plastic v copper you will find quite a number of threads on this subject.

Oh and welcome to the forum :)

Thanks very much every one for your feed back, much appreciated, I was an electrician for several years back in the 90's but never did plumbing, so thanks again for the adive

Jo

Without any doubt, copper and soldered fittings. Remember to fit pipe insulation.

I've seen the damage that rodents do to plastic. I was at a house last year, where a mouse had eaten through a rising main and flooded the attic causing the ceilings to collapse in 2 floors. If you use plastic, encase it in steel conduit.

Without any doubt, copper and soldered fittings. Remember to fit pipe insulation.

I've seen the damage that rodents do to plastic. I was at a house last year, where a mouse had eaten through a rising main and flooded the attic causing the ceilings to collapse in 2 floors. If you use plastic, encase it in steel conduit.

I'd love to see what happens to a mouse when the water hits him in the face at 3/4 bar lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'd love to see what happens to a mouse when the water hits him in the face at 3/4 bar lol.

It's a slightly happier expression to the one that gets frozen on their face when they chew through live cables. :crazy:

in my own house id go copper, quality end feed fittings. As for solder it normally the one the merchant has one the shelf at the time, i do prefere the slightly stiffer solder as its easier to use in tight corners/under baths etc......

Copper pipe with end feed fittings & leaded solder on heating is fine, but lead free is strong if you wanted. I think then the flux is important. I use the traditional flux. like Fluxite or Yorkshire traditional grease based fluxes. Hard part is to get an installer who has experience & is fussy.
Copper job will last more than 30 years! My heating is 36 years & like new.

Last edited:
to be honest any plumber worth his salt would use copper , Plastic is o.k and is good for some installs but as plumbers/fitters we tend to look at [plastic as diy or for use for builders who tend to advertise themselves as bathroom fitters .

to be honest any plumber worth his salt would use copper , Plastic is o.k and is good for some installs but as plumbers/fitters we tend to look at [plastic as diy or for use for builders who tend to advertise themselves as bathroom fitters .
i cant see how you can come out with unfounded infomation nearly all new builds will be entirely plastic and a good percentage of refurb and emergency work will also be in plastic there fore a lot plumber wouldnt see plastic as substandard
yes i agree copper is the more substantial material but as always theres a trade of on quality and price

Hello,

I need to replace the Galvanized Steel pipes in my central heating system, the question is weather to use Copper of Plastic.

I have heard plastic can have the following issues

1: Joints come loose over time and leak
2: Joints suck in air over time, meaning more bleeding of the system etc.
3: Mice or other rodent (not that I have a known issue with rodents) eat these pipes where as they do not eat copper pipes.

As far as plastic goes I heard Hep02 is the best one to go for?

As far as copper goes I have heard TaraCorp Sterling Lead Free Solder is the best in the industry, but cannot seem to find this for sale at UK outlets, does anyone know where I can by TaraCort Sterling solder/water based flux?

Basically I guess the main question is if it was your house and you were intending to live there for the next 30 years or so which would you install?

Thank everyone in advance,
JoB

Copper wins hands down

..well all I know is, when I've soldered up a load of pipe runs for new rads or whatever and they get buried behind plasterboard and covered over by flooring, I don't think twice about it.....ever......but when I've had to do it all in hep20 or any other plastic because its specified, I fret about each connection made for ages after, did I push it in fully ? did I pinch the o-ring ? did I lock the nut after ?...........and to this day I still can't get my head to accept that they are as watertight as a properly soldered copper joint.....but that's just me.

Plastic pex pipe in pipe for me going back to manifolds with actuator heads and stats in all rooms NO joints under any floor and total control of each room independently
And power flow flux and any lead free solder
Where in 2012 gone should be the days when you can't control your heating systems frankly heating that just does upstairs and downstairs zones is not enough IMHO
My new heating will be underfloor in main living area with a couple of column rads for a boost in summer if needed big room lol
Bedrooms rads back to manifold working independently and bathrooms with underfloor and towel rads

Thanks again for the replies

when it comes to insulation of the copper pipes under the floor boards, I was thinking about using normal plumbing pipe felt, i.e. the stuff that stops the creaking over joists etc when the pipe heats up. I was going to use the felt along the whole length of the pipes, is that good enough for insulation for under floor boards, or should I use something more substantial under the ground floor, floor boards in particular, if so will any standard pipe insulation do, it is one brand better than another?

Thanks again to everyone for your help

Jo

i cant see how you can come out with unfounded infomation nearly all new builds will be entirely plastic and a good percentage of refurb and emergency work will also be in plastic there fore a lot plumber wouldnt see plastic as substandard
yes i agree copper is the more substantial material but as always theres a trade of on quality and price

Totally misunderstood my statement , worked on new builds for years and the quality on plastic installs was average at best , most of the plumbers i have worked with on new builds i wouldnt even class as plumbers out of every ten maybe 3 had done a full plumbing course same as emergency work no plumbers but this so called multi trade trades rubbish . Plastic is qiuck fix and diy easy peazy set up , gets more difficult when using aquatherm for eg but as a rule if you knowledge of lego then you can use plastic .

The problem with plastic systems is not the material itself, but the failure rate it has gained through incorrect installation, by so called installers who haven't even bothered to read the manufacturers installation guides before using it.

Much of plumbing is now being taken on by diy'ers and handymen etc. not just plastic, gutters and downpipes, showers, bathrooms and a whole host of other things. I've just carried out repairs to a bathroom installation that was done by a builder, not a plumber and it was a mess, plastic everywhere, cistern leaking, plastic waste pipes leaking etc. If plastic wasn't here, and only copper and solder was the norm, then I doubt that many builders would be able to tackle it. Well any way, customer had no warranty with her bathroom either and it cost quite a bit for my services to repair it. Had she gone with either myself or any other decent plumber, she'd have had a warranty and the repairs wouldn't have cost her anything, not that repairs of this magnitude would be needed any way. The moral of the story here for her is that cheapest isn't always best and it cost her a lot more in the long run to have it put right.

Definitely copper every time for me and the fact that I only use copper has won me bathroom installations over others who have been cheaper. I use it as a selling point when doing a bathroom survey and customers appreciate that if I'm using quality materials, then they'll get a quality job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Copper all the way as the rest have said! If a jobs werth doing
may aswel do it neat and tidy :)

I'd use plastic where not seen and copper if on show I couldn't give a monkeys whats under my floorboards so I'd go for the cheaper quicker option which is plastic

Use whats good for you, On show coppers the one, hidden your choice. The same argument happened before my time lead or copper. Somethings come and go and plastic is here to stay.

The problem with plastic systems is not the material itself, but the failure rate it has gained through incorrect installation, by so called installers who haven't even bothered to read the manufacturers installation guides before using it.

Much of plumbing is now being taken on by diy'ers and handymen etc. not just plastic, gutters and downpipes, showers, bathrooms and a whole host of other things. I've just carried out repairs to a bathroom installation that was done by a builder, not a plumber and it was a mess, plastic everywhere, cistern leaking, plastic waste pipes leaking etc. If plastic wasn't here, and only copper and solder was the norm, then I doubt that many builders would be able to tackle it. Well any way, customer had no warranty with her bathroom either and it cost quite a bit for my services to repair it. Had she gone with either myself or any other decent plumber, she'd have had a warranty and the repairs wouldn't have cost her anything, not that repairs of this magnitude would be needed any way. The moral of the story here for her is that cheapest isn't always best and it cost her a lot more in the long run to have it put right.

Definitely copper every time for me and the fact that I only use copper has won me bathroom installations over others who have been cheaper. I use it as a selling point when doing a bathroom survey and customers appreciate that if I'm using quality materials, then they'll get a quality job.

Went to a Dolphin hash up job removed the bath panel and a access panel in the ensuite everything in sight plastic no sign of clips sagging all over the place, same as with the soil at best 1 elbow was propped up with a discarded pot of glue

Went to a Dolphin hash up job removed the bath panel and a access panel in the ensuite everything in sight plastic no sign of clips sagging all over the place, same as with the soil at best 1 elbow was propped up with a discarded pot of glue
That's partly why Dolphin are no longer around. I see many jobs like this, where botch ups are hidden behind partitions etc. basically if the customer can't see it then it's out of sight, out of mind.

Thats on top of fitting a whale pump that cant keep up with the amount of water the shower puts out :59: worst money that customer ever spent

We've done this debate so many times.

I use both copper and plastic barrier pipe. Never had any major issue with either.

My house had no central heating when I bought it last year. I fitted a system of plastic to the rads, and then a length of copper with a chrome plated tail to the rad (chrome plated pipe, rubbed back and soldered to the copper).

Looks nice, hasnt leaked. Went in much quicker than copper, and cost less money.

If it's done badly, it doesn't matter if it's plastic or copper. It will leak or air lock just the same! It will have just cost you more if it was badly fitted copper!!

Those that use plastic are the ones that cant use a pipe bender or solder correctly any tradesman worth his salt will always opt for copper also i the other issue i have came across is with plastic under the floor the rats tend to take a liking to the taste

Those that use plastic are the ones that cant use a pipe bender or solder correctly any tradesman worth his salt will always opt for copper also i the other issue i have came across is with plastic under the floor the rats tend to take a liking to the taste

What a load of complete and utter tosh. Copper is normally preferable but there are times when plastic is the better option. There are times when the fire risk is too great to solder and plastic is a godsend in these instances. Where cost is a big issue in can be more economical to use plastic and, unless you're very lucky,few of us can afford to turn down work nowadays.

We've got to move with the times and embrace new materials whether we like it or not. It's great to stick with the old materials but not always possible.

Plastic can be a lot quicker to install, hence why it is used a lot on new builds, and is really handy to fish through places where it would not be possible to get copper pipe in. It is also unsightly, and for what ever reason, the fittings are more prone to failure.
My vote... Copper !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plastic or Copper piping? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock