Search the forum,

Discuss Plastic pipe separating from compression joint in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I replaced our leaking bathroom tap yesterday, it’s one of these mono mixer types. The existing one had 2 copper connectors which then were connected to the plastic water pipes via plastic pushfit fittings. As the new tap had flexible connectors with a nut on the end I had to change the existing pushfit connections; I decided to use isolation valves, compression type.

Fitting the tap went relatively smoothly, then on to the connection to the water pipe.

The plastic pipe needed to be shortened to allow the connection, I used Rothenberger plastic pipe cutters (the handle type), the cuts were clean though not perfectly square; I used JG inserts for the end of the pipe, after sliding the nut and copper olive along the pipe.

After tightening the nuts with the spanner I turned the water back on; to my horror, one of the connections blew completely off the pipe ! The other one was fine, not even a leak. After turning the water off and mopping up the bathroom I reconnected the pipe to the valve, ensuring that after hand tightening giving it a full turn with the spanner.

This time I turned the water back on slowly, a quarter of a turn at a time – there were no problems, not even a small leak. I then checked to see if change in pressure would affect the joints by switching taps on and of, flushing the toilets and putting the washing m/c on. No more problems whatsoever...or so I thought.

This morning, the wife put the washing m/c on, its one of these new eco friendly types that optimises water usage to suit the load by ‘pulsing’ the water in, so its more of an on-off, on-off, etc. Whilst it was doing this I heard a ‘pop’ upstairs followed by the gushing of water – the other connection had blown. So I followed the same procedure as per yesterday's conundrum, ensuring the joint was tightened a full turn with the spanner.

Can anyone shed any light on why this might be happening? Its really concerned me the fact the 2nd one went 15hrs after it was fitted. I daren’t leave the house at the moment and am papping myself every time we use the washer.

Thanks

Daz

Are you using the super seal inserts are these can't be used on compression joints ?

Yes they are JG Speedift Superseal Tube Support. Why can these not be used? What should be used with compression joints?
Thanks

TSM PIPE INSERT | John Guest Speedfit

The reason is the super seal have more of a shoulder so on compression not much of the pipe is in the fitting

You could if you want to remove the big o ring on the super seal and cut / hacksaw the back face (if you understand what I'm saying)

That makes sense now. I see the TSM has a chamfer to aid the install into the fitting. A lesson learned the hard way...
Thanks ShaunCorbs

I only carry superseal inserts. I just chop the head off once pushed into the pipe on compression joints.

As above correct sleeve type.
Copper olive (compression ring)
Tightend up enough.

Lastly if in any doubt undo the joint and check that the olive has gripped into the plastic pipe.

The problem with solenoid valves on washing machines is that when the slam shut, they increase the pressure in the piping 6 fold for an instant.

So what ever fittings you are using, make sure they can handle a 600% increase in pressure for a second, umpteen times a day for umpteen years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plastic pipe separating from compression joint in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock