Search the forum,

Discuss Plastic pipe with flexihoses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I've used plastic pipe and standard metal flexihoses to connect water to tape and toilet, and both of them leak!

What am i doing wrong?

I've followed the speedfit recommended instructions , using copper olives, standard pipe inserts and even ptfe tape.

Do people find this method particularly reliable? See attached pic for example, although that doesn't really show much other than how in connecting them.

1491747473466-524237364.jpg

Forgive me if I am wrong , i can't tell by the pic , is that olive copper or brass ? It looks like brass .

It looks brass to me as well and also looks to have been cranked up overtight.
I use copper olive, a metal support sleeve and a smear of hawk white if using plastic but ideally in your situation a short length of copper pipe between the ISO and the flexi

replace the speedfit from the joint lower than the stop valves with copper

also replace them horrible stop valves with proper full flow valves

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/full-bore-isolating-valve-15mm/46860

also might be worth picking a pack of these up

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/olives-15mm-20-pack/69557

replace the speedfit from the joint lower than the stop valves with copper

also replace them horrible stop valves with proper full flow valves

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/full-bore-isolating-valve-15mm/46860

also might be worth picking a pack of these up

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/olives-15mm-20-pack/69557
Thanks, what's wrong with the speedfit stop valves?

Same as above. Not the best isolation valves to be honest. The compression full bore are very good.

Speedfit isolation valves never ever work properly when you come to use them again down the line!

It looks brass to me as well and also looks to have been cranked up overtight.
I use copper olive, a metal support sleeve and a smear of hawk white if using plastic but ideally in your situation a short length of copper pipe between the ISO and the flexi

I looked for copper olives in both screwfix and bq, but they are all the same as the ones pictured which are totally different colour to copper so i assumed they are brass. In fact the link someone's provided below look like brass anyway.

Don't use boss white/ compound on any plastics (tanks, pipe, threads). The oils/ chemics in them can damage the plastic.

replace your flexis every 5 years or you will be flooded out one day, the wire corrodes, the rubber pipe inside bursts out and water everywhere, seen it on numerous occassions, which is why copper is best in the long term.

Rarely use plastic and if n when i do id use appropriate plasti ftgs, but if i had to use compression then id always give it a wee bit ptfe tape as the pipes try to twist as there tightned,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plastic pipe with flexihoses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock