Search the forum,

Discuss Plastic vs Copper in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a search but couldn't see the answers I was looking for as I believe this may be asked

does any one know the exact pros and cons regarding these two pipes obv plastic is cheaper and to an extent more robust but is there any thermal advantages if so does any one have any links to the exact advantages my client has asked for copper due to the EESSH but my issue is I can't see any hard evidence that copper is more energy efficient ?

i also see that all new builds carry out installations in plastic which is more than likely for cost cutting but I may be wrong and there might be other reasons ?

If properly insulated then there should be minimum thermal difference. Plastic is quicker labourwise to install but copper is more robust

plastic = rat food

copper = long life

plastic = rat food

copper = long life

Plastic:

Easier to fit.
Can be "threaded" through joists avoiding need for notching.
Can be bought in 50M lengths reducing joins.
Currently cheaper per metre than copper but fittings more expensive
Coefficient of expansion higher than copper. Needs more clips
Easier for rodents to damage.
Made from oil, so ecological benefits (if any) suspect.
Not readily recyclable, particularly if contains barrier layer

Copper:
Needs more skill and more tools to fit.
Usually needs notching of any joists it crosses. Potentially more weakening of joists.
More expensive per metre than plastic. Offset by lower fittings costs (not press fit).
Expands less than plastic. Fewer clips needed.
Much less prone to rodent damage.
Made from copper ore, uses quite a lot of electrical power to refine.
Readily recyclable if fittings removed, and has a value.

The removal of using a blowtorch and choking to death on flux fumes has to be a big advantage.

Just to add to what's already said - plastic provides more insulation than copper. Copper is of course a conductor of heat. Uninsulated copper pipe will lose more heat energy per metre than the same diameter plastic pipe. How do I know this? All pipe freezers take considerably longer to freeze plastic pipes, on average 4x as long.

Source: -

http://freezemaster.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/FreezeMasterInstructions2016.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plastic vs Copper in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock