Search the forum,

Discuss Please can some advise me on what the hell is going on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hammer9

Hello,

First of all thank you to anyone who looks and reply's to my questions.

I live in a terraced 2 bed house with a down stairs toilet and 2 toilets up stairs, the water pressure system is a sealed system with the boiler in the kitchen and the airing cupboard in the spare bedroom. I have just had my boiler replaced (yesterday) as it was deemed beyond economical repair, I had constant issues with the old one and had to keep filling the water pressure up every 6/8 weeks as the BAR pressure on the boiler would drop, I was told the boiler was at fault and had different parts changed so many times, I was also told i could have a leak somewhere as the water must be escaping from either a leaking pipe or radiator. I have had a new fancy boiler installed and I am somewhat confused with the way it works, firstly I woke up this morning to find a fault on the new boiler, it basically said loss of water pressure, my question is the boiler is brand new and the BAR pressure was on 1.2 before I went to bed and when I got up this morning it was empty, where the hell is the water leaking from, I don't have a tank in the loft and I don't have any obvious signs of leaking from my toilet plumbing or any leakage from my radiators. Do I need to get in a company that can scan my house with infrared cameras to find what i cant physically see or hear, is there anything else in the airing cupboard pluming wise that needs to be checked ?

Second part to this is about who the new boiler works, I have had a new Ideal logic system S18 installed, I have read the manual and I am still stumped, the plumber who installed it left without showing me how it work, partly my faught as I should have asked, he is now in France on holiday

From what I understand the boiler is one of these new fancy types that turns itself off and has no display showing when its off, yesterday the boiler was working fine, I have a Drayton timer panel where I can set what time the water and central heating comes on, yesterday when the plumber left the water and central heating was set to all day. I changed the central heating to auto as I didn't need the heating on, when I did this the boiler shut itself off and was no longer on, I basically understand how this works but was a little confused with the way the hot water works. This morning the boiler was off as the water and central heating timer was not set to come on, at 10am the hot water is set to come on (according to the timer panel) I waited and watched the boiler but nothing happened at 10am, the boiler stayed off but the light on the Drayton panel was on to suggest hot water was being requested. I checked the hot water and I had plenty, I drained the hot water so there was nothing left then reset the timer to come on at 11am which it did, the timer light come on at 11am and the boiler fired up at the request of the timer panel, Do these new boilers stay off even if there is a request from the timer panel for hot water ? Can they tell that there is adequate hot water in the tank and therefore ignore the timer request to come on as it can tell there is plenty of hot water.

Thanks guys

question 1

you have a leak on your system either pipework or a rad/valve

is any of your pipe work buried in concrete floors etc?

question 2

there will be a cylinder stat that will govern the temp (like a room thermo stat in your house)

so the timer may be on but if the cylinder stat senses the water is still hot enough boiler wont fire

Sounds like you have a leak somewhere.

The boiler wont come on if either the house, room stat, or hot water, tank stat, are satisfied. I.e. if you have a tank full of hot water it doesnt need to come on and its the tank thermostat that controls that during periods when the timer is on.

Sounds like you have a leak somewhere.

The boiler wont come on if either the house, room stat, or hot water, tank stat, are satisfied. I.e. if you have a tank full of hot water it doesnt need to come on and its the tank thermostat that controls that during periods when the timer is on.

Get the installer company back, why put a new boiler before you have found & fixed the leak ??
Your new boiler will be recked in no time if you keep having to fill the system up with fresh water from the mains.

Your also losing all your inhibitor, more than likely the leak is on the ground floor, unless you have noticed any marks on the ceilings , if you have solid floors on ground floor and pipes below this then its going to be hard to locate, you could try adding a good quality system leak sealer CT1 make one think its called system seal , but someone on here will give you the correct name, but I understand that 1 can will only treat 25lts of water so you will need about 4 cans (£50). But you Must get installer back !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please can some advise me on what the hell is going on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock