Search the forum,

Discuss Plumber ? ..... Cowboy ? ...... Con-man in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it would be nice to know the outcome.

This scenario doesnt just apply to the elderly i know younger families that have been stung ,my gran passed away in her 90's and she was astute as you get with money (scottish she was, so tight) .

The sad thing is, there's more of those rip off merchants out there. I've gained a hell of a lot of experience over the last couple of years and a customer base that grows based on my reliability and honesty. The amount of now customers who've been ripped off and suffered bad repairs was/is shocking. Strangely, a lot of the time they don't chase these individuals down and confront them, and are also reluctant to divulge their identities....

The sad thing is, there's more of those rip off merchants out there. I've gained a hell of a lot of experience over the last couple of years and a customer base that grows based on my reliability and honesty. The amount of now customers who've been ripped off and suffered bad repairs was/is shocking. Strangely, a lot of the time they don't chase these individuals down and confront them, and are also reluctant to divulge their identities....

I think when people see past the "charisma" that they fell for in the first place many see the evil that was around them and are just thankful the damage wasn't worse, money can be replaced.

i have to say,while this is disgusting,and i would be the first to burn his rse with my blow torch.
with parents at that age,do you not look out for them.and not let them get in this situation.

Yes when circumstances permit

Dad died a few weeks ago .... I only found out about this guy and the £286 when I was going thru His papers

Mum, said that Dad tried to deal with things Himself, because I'd recently had cancer and a hip replacement ..... and he didn't want them to be the cause of more "problems and anxiety" to me ( His words )

Last edited by a moderator:
not the best of things to find, I hope you can find some better memories to put this behind you.

Having discovered this "rip-off" I decided to investigate the extent of work this cowboy had done for £286

I closed the 5 valves A,B,C,D,E

Slowly opened and disconnected the 2 old chrome compression nuts on the new 15mm brass gatevalve...... about a cup full of water drained out

edit089.jpg

then I removed the new 15mm brass gate valve

P1080742.jpg
P1080749.jpg

At this point the water is simply closed-down by the 5 valves

The above close-up photo clearly shows ..... OLD Tarnished Olives, OLD Tarnished pipe and OLD Bruised Chrome Compression nuts left from the original "leaking" chrome issolator valve

Clearly there is NO new pipework , NO new couplers, No new fittings

Conclusion ........ The guy charged £286 for fitting part of a new 15mm Brass gatevalve

Whats that cost £ 3.50

My condolences on the loss of your Dad.

You have every right to annoyed, looking at the above we are also annoyed that a person claiming to be a member of our trade has abused the trust placed in him, prices and hourly rates vary but even a surgeon holding a persons life in their hands would not charge that much for a few minutes work.

There are very few options open to you that may bring satisfaction, I know locally if such a thing is reported to the Police they can't do anything about what we consider criminal however they do tend to make the offending parties life very difficult in other ways.

All I can suggest is that any action you intend taking please keep it within the law, citisens advice or your Solicitor would be much better than me to advise you on any further action you might take.

My condolences on the loss of your Dad.

You have every right to annoyed, looking at the above we are also annoyed that a person claiming to be a member of our trade has abused the trust placed in him, prices and hourly rates vary but even a surgeon holding a persons life in their hands would not charge that much for a few minutes work.

There are very few options open to you that may bring satisfaction, I know locally if such a thing is reported to the Police they can't do anything about what we consider criminal however they do tend to make the offending parties life very difficult in other ways.

All I can suggest is that any action you intend taking please keep it within the law, citisens advice or your Solicitor would be much better than me to advise you on any further action you might take.

Totally agree with Pete
And am also very sorry for your loss

Well it would be nice to know the outcome.

“Jessie James” has sent me a written response from Dodge City …… to the explain his rip-off £286 bill

He states he had to do the following work

He had to drain down the central heating system ??????

He had to Cut out the faulty valve and pipework ??????

He had to travel to a merchants to get materials he required for my Mum and Dad’s job…… He states and lists “inline gate valve “ , “couplers “ ? , “pipework” ? and “fittings” ?

He returned … and replaced the “ pipework “ ? and gate valve

He the refilled the central heating system and vented all radiators …. He removed all the air locks and made sure all radiators were hot.

He the had to rebalance the hot water system

He states that ……… All this was explained to your Father

Is he taking the P-ss ??????????

yes he is taking the proverbial. invite him back to show you where he put the new pipe and fittings, that aren't the gate valve, in the system.

In a word YES!

If he did all that in 15 minutes then he should be in the Guinness book of World Records!

As you've seen first hand, with limited knowledge of plumbing (I assume, apologies if otherwise) you have managed to isolate all water & drain a small amount to be able to remove the valve! That at most took 5-10 minutes!

I'm sorry for your loss.

I hope you get this resolved quickly!!

I've got 4 gate valves in the van, I could make an easy 1200 quid.

Get him back and get a refund. Look up the Sale of Goods Act especially the part about goods being "Fit for Purpose".

“Jessie James” has sent me a written response from Dodge City …… to the explain his rip-off £286 bill

He states he had to do the following work

He had to drain down the central heating system ??????

He had to Cut out the faulty valve and pipework ??????

He had to travel to a merchants to get materials he required for my Mum and Dad’s job…… He states and lists “inline gate valve “ , “couplers “ ? , “pipework” ? and “fittings” ?

He returned … and replaced the “ pipework “ ? and gate valve

He the refilled the central heating system and vented all radiators …. He removed all the air locks and made sure all radiators were hot.

He the had to rebalance the hot water system

He states that ……… All this was explained to your Father

Is he taking the P-ss ??????????

Did you manage to contact Jesse by email?

If yes that suggests he is computer savvy enough at least to look at this thread.

If he has a web site it would look very well on this thread (not for him, for you, our old friend Karma).

Save the reply I think that by lying to you he may have opened the door to allow you to at least get a hearing in the small claims court
presuming you are executor / administrator of your Father's estate.

These type of cases are usually hard to win because it's very often one persons word against another, Jesse appears to have given you
leverage by claiming to have carried out work that he clearly did not, in fact he may have opened the door for the Police because he may
have admitted to fraud.

Going these routes may mean employing a heating engineer to confirm what you already know.

I am not a Solicitor but I do think Jesse will have to show where he cut the pipework and the new parts he fitted

surprised he hasn't tried to charge for painting that new pipework he has supposedly fitted!

this guy wants a bullet..

doesn't look like that drain has been used in years, looks like there's dust inside the spout.

Makes you wonder how many times Jesse has gotten away with this in the past. Doesn't do gas as well does he?

i bloody hope not!

sorry for language but justified imho

You appear to have him 'bang to rights'.

So I guess the question is now, what happens next?

Ripped off royally. What a *******. Did they get a receipt?

This is the hand written invoice that Jessie gave to my Dad

803EDIT.jpg

Materials = £31.50 +VAT for only part of a 15mm Gate Valve

The scribble written inside the RED line says ....... " inc OAP Discount "

Talk about rubbing your face in it :censored:

Yeah, £1 discount. What a gent.

£69 an hour+VAT is fine (much more than I charge) but fine, as long as you work diligently.

£31+VAT for a 15mm gate valve is crazy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumber ? ..... Cowboy ? ...... Con-man in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock