Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing a house advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark R

Hi

Im not a plumber but would like some advice please.

Im about to bid on a 4 bed + 2 reception room + kitchen house which hasent been touched in years plumbing wise. It needs a new heating system and replumbed.

1) Approx how much would this cost for a pro plumber to do and how long would it take?

2) Ive the option of gas or oil but which is better and why?

3) Im handy with DIY with plastic pipes. Is plastic pipes and fittings ok for a whole house or is copper needed and where?

thanks for your help

Mark

Will be cheaper if the house is completely empty as no carpets/furniture ect to move.
Almost impossible to say how much things will cost on here as no-one will be sure whats involved. I hate plastic push fit (copper is far more professional). When you say new C/H and house re-plumbed do you mean new bathroom/kitchen/water main/soil pipe ect?
Where are you?

Im in Belfast.

House will need gutted so will be empty.

Complete central heating is needed as its economy 7 at the minute.
Soil pipe outside house is ok just replumb for new kitchen, bathroom, ensuite.

Im looking for a guide so I can factor it into my bid. ie. £5k, £10k, £15k.

I assumed you all used plastic these days as its much easier and faster??

cheers
Mark

£6k ish. Depending on quality of materials. Plumbers use copper DIYers use plastic.

£6k ish. Depending on quality of materials. Plumbers use copper DIYers use plastic.
that is a ridiculous statement what your saying is all the people working on new builds are diyers and not plumbers ?given the choice i love working with copper but if its specified in plastic what can you do

I knew that would upset some Steve :). Surely if you went to price this you would price it using copper though, wouldnt you? And if the client insisted on plastic you would use no problem but in the same instance you would let it be known that copper would be better?

Im in Belfast.

House will need gutted so will be empty.

Complete central heating is needed as its economy 7 at the minute.
Soil pipe outside house is ok just replumb for new kitchen, bathroom, ensuite.

Im looking for a guide so I can factor it into my bid. ie. £5k, £10k, £15k.

I assumed you all used plastic these days as its much easier and faster??

cheers
Mark
it all depends on the level of finish higher class taps and showers take longer to fit as do designer suites often needing a proper first fix to get pipework in the right places especially things like concealed cystens and semi ped basin where the pipework isnt on show
the 6k some one else quoted sounds about right for a reasonable finish go up to high quality sanitary ware and you could wind up closer to 8
showers are always a lot more work to fit than baths
if your choice is mains gas go for that its always cheaper to run than oil of lpg and you dont pay up front for it
also area is going to make a big difference where are you?
Always get minimum of three estimates insist its i writing listing exactly whats covered and ask fo a estimate of time remember theres always going to be something that cant be forseen although with a whole house theres less chance of this as most stuff will be included
if you decide to buy your own bathroom suite have the stuff on site early for the plumber to work out measurements for pipes etc better stilll to have at least a cataluoge to show at the estimating stage if the plumber supplies he is going to want to earn somethng out of it but then any extra trips to the merchants for bits broken or missing will be his responsibilty

weeks work in labour + materials
count on 7500.

could vary by 2500 either way, depending if your going cheap and renting it out or you want it proper for yourself.

good luck. nice project.

I knew that would upset some Steve :). Surely if you went to price this you would price it using copper though, wouldnt you? And if the client insisted on plastic you would use no problem but in the same instance you would let it be known that copper would be better?

Why is copper far better than plastic?

Using my recent quoting we calculated a 4 bed 2 ensuite, utility , main bathroom, kitchen with PLASTIC underfloor heating supply and fit excluding electrics (oil boiler) £8,765

Thanks lads. I'll set £10k aside for it although Im not a highend type for bathrooms etc but that should cover it.

As above why is copper better??

The only problem with gas over here is we only have one supplier so no price competition but do like the idea of no oil tank.

Mark

Thanks lads. I'll set £10k aside for it although Im not a highend type for bathrooms etc but that should cover it.

As above why is copper better??

The only problem with gas over here is we only have one supplier so no price competition but do like the idea of no oil tank.

Mark

cause its proper.;)

i can show you some 200 year old copper plumbing still working, but i bet no one can show me some 20 year old plastic not leaking.:p

Mark compare an end feed t with a speedfit/pushfit t. Copper and solder last, the grab rings mechanically fail, o-rings perish. I do use plastic, but only when copper becomes impratical, but other than that I tend to loathe it, just my opinion. The fittings are also restrictive, peer through a t or socket and watch that diameter reduce. You certainly do not want it on show. If you do opt for it, make sure its secure so that the mice dont have hammocks for the night;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing a house advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock