Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Plumbing abroad? Advice? in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. John Downes

John Downes Member

Looking to work abroad for a few years, or at least have that as an option.

Anybody done it? Know anybody that’s done it? I want to know how difficult is the process say for example, working in Australia?

I’m looking to get away from my home town for a while. Nothing really here for me.

Thanks.

2. hammers4spanner

hammers4spanner Plumber GSR

Only ever worked in cornwall which is pretty foreign.

To answer your questood tho a few guy' here have worked abroad.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. John Downes

John Downes Member

Haha I’m in Wales so I suppose that would be foreign to you as well.

Seriously though I’d love to do it, need to know what’s needed to go through with it!

4. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

in australia you're certificates are not recognised and you would have to take theirs through Tafe. which is the adult education system. i know gas qualifications are not recognised but you will need to check for plumbing, but think it will be the same

5. oz-plumber

oz-plumber Plumber

Not exactly true.
    If you can prove your skills and prove that you can be competent the path could be easier.

The problem has been in the past that people who have done their 6 week course come over and take a job and they are useless.
    Some states are more lenient than others, but it all comes down to what you know and your plumbing capabilities.

More info required as per your experience and which state you want to work in

6. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR

Quick question for you ! do you have to retake the gas tests every 5 years as we do in the UK.

7. oz-plumber

oz-plumber Plumber

In a word - No.