Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing & heating quote in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Getting an extension built as well as some alterations to the layout of our house. Been quoted £6k incl VAT for the plumbing and heating aspects of the work (see below for details). Just want a finger the air idea if it's reasonable or if we're not getting ripped off. I've been in touch with a few other plumbers to try and get some more quotes but it seems to be difficult to get any work quoted for at the moment (been trying for months to get an issue with our roof sorted). I'm based near Barnsley btw.

We are having an extension built and knocking through into the existing lounge. We are then installing a new kitchen in what is currently the lounge and converting the current kitchen into a lounge/play room. It will involve moving the gas supply to the utility room. Supply and fit Ideal combi boiler in utility room. Remove old boiler and hot water tank. First fix and second fix plumbing for new kitchen. First fix and second fix radiators for new kitchen and extension (remove 2 old radiators, add 2 new ones). Remove plumbing for old kitchen. Move radiator in hallway.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Gas supply ? Gas pipe or gas meter ?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
From the description it seems good value to me but the only people whose opinion is worth having are the ones who've seen the work and their quote is their answer.

For a job of this size, you'd normally try to get up to three quotations but if only one firm is willing to quote it's pretty much take it or leave it from your point of view.

An important decision to get right is combi vs stored hot water. How many bathrooms, etc. is the finished house going to be and what's the longest run between the combi and the most distant hot water outlet?

From the description it seems good value to me but the only people whose opinion is worth having are the ones who've seen the work and their quote is their answer.

For a job of this size, you'd normally try to get up to three quotations but if only one firm is willing to quote it's pretty much take it or leave it from your point of view.

An important decision to get right is combi vs stored hot water. How many bathrooms, etc. is the finished house going to be and what's the longest run between the combi and the most distant hot water outlet?
Agree.

Do you currently have a combi? Isn’t the flow acceptable?

Did the plumber test the flow rate/dynamic pressure? Ensure these are checked/confirmed acceptable before pulling the trigger on the boiler model.

A family home would be better served from a stored supply of hot water , cost vary across the country but material costs have rocketed and are the highest I've ever known.

Finger in air - bottom line doesn't seem unreasonable.
But looking only at the bottom line is not the way. How did you find them - recommendation? Have you spoken to them about their other work? Do they have any accreditations? (Apart from gas safe).
Most importantly how do you "feel" about them, are you confident in them? Do you trust them? - if yes, then show trust in them, if no, look elsewhere.
Also remember a contractor is is looking at the customer in the same way and needs to trust the customer and have confidence in them - Will this customer pay? Will they change the spec half way through? etc.
Btw this is the worst time of year to be looking for roofers and heating engineers, ive been looking for a roofer in Derbyshire for a relative - many have no availability until spring time!

Reply to Plumbing & heating quote in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock