Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton E168 error help. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, i have a potterton promax 28 he that been giving me an random e168 errors.

so far Ive replaced the actuator, diverter cartride, CH pressure switch, temp sensor, pcb and room stat (salus wireless). (All outside the combustion zone section)

It doesn't happen as frequently now after changing parts but still there.
(it also used to reach temp and kettle while not actually circulating the central heating until i change the valve cartridge)
often goes off in the night so house is freezing in the morning.

I have no issues when using DHW only.

could it be the valve cartridge not sealing with the body and letting water by?
failing that im guessing the new pcb is just as bad or venturi fan

any suggestions?

thanks

Last edited:
Hi all, i have a potterton promax 28 he that been giving me an random e168 errors.

so far Ive replaced the actuator, diverter cartride, CH pressure switch, temp sensor, pcb and room stat (salus wireless). (All outside the combustion zone section)

It doesn't happen as frequently now after changing parts but still there.
(it also used to reach temp and kettle while not actually circulating the central heating until i change the valve cartridge)
often goes off in the night so house is freezing in the morning.

I have no issues when using DHW only.

could it be the valve cartridge not sealing with the body and letting water by?
failing that im guessing the new pcb is just as bad or venturi fan

any suggestions?

thanks

There is no need to replace part after part on anything. All component parts on a Boiler or Heating system can be tested and ruled out during fault diagnosis.
I think you would be better off spending your money on a Qualified and experienced Heating Engineer to come and diagnose the issue and repair it for you.
I don't know how much this has cost to date but it would more than likely have been a lot cheaper and more successful.

Hi thanks for getting back to me,
its not cost much (pcb was a refurb), actuator was about was about ÂŁ12, valve cartridge was damaged and needed replacing anyway (initially had an issue with rads heating when DHW run) and temp sensor was about ÂŁ8 so no huge loss. Salus unit i had spare anyway and the old one had physical damage to display and faulty capacitor in RX as LEDs dimmed when CH was called, LWPS was threadbare and had been basically held in by PTFE so again needed replacing.

the joys of buying a house with a boiler with no records unfortunately.

FYI had it serviced since replacing everthing but PCB about a year ago.

There is no need to replace part after part on anything. All component parts on a Boiler or Heating system can be tested and ruled out during fault diagnosis.
I think you would be better off spending your money on a Qualified and experienced Heating Engineer to come and diagnose the issue and repair it for you.
I don't know how much this has cost to date but it would more than likely have been a lot cheaper and more successful.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for getting back to me,
its not cost much (pcb was a refurb), actuator was about was about ÂŁ12, valve cartridge was damaged and needed replacing anyway (initially had an issue with rad heating when DHW run) and temp sensor was about ÂŁ8 so no huge loss. Salus unit i had spare anyway and the old one had physical damage and faulty capacitor as LEDs dimmed when CH was called.

The other thing here is, (and I know you're expecting this more than likely), you need to be Gas safe registered to work on a Gas appliance

yep cant say i wasnt expecting it, it is however my understanding that as a homeowner with a level of competency i can repair non gas parts outside of the combustible zone (inner segregated section) in the boiler.

The other thing here is, (and I know you're expecting this more than likely), you need to be Gas safe registered to work on a Gas appliance

This Link will explain it hopefully.
You may be right with the Boiler you have. Other opinions will no doubt appear on this subject.

Thanks.
Water and electric Im fairly at home with, gas is where i stop as i dont have the background, certification or equipment and although i would love to train and become GSR, i just dont have the time.

Additionally the last GSR engineer i spoke to about it said he thought it was the plate heat exchanger which I didnt beleive as, A. indications of the error code point more to electrical fault and B to my knowledge the plate heat exchanger is used soley for DHW in this boiler.

This Link will explain it hopefully.
You may be right with the Boiler you have. Other opinions will no doubt appear on this subject.

Last edited:
In my experience on those , the 168 can mean virtually anything , I had one back in the summer , It was very intermittent, and those are a swine to sort. I wont tell you what I changed but it never fixed it , we ended up getting a fixed price from Baxi, they came and put loads of parts on it , and threw the new ones away even the baxi guy didnt trust them .

yep thays how it is here some days its fine others its a few times a day and no doubt then someone comes to sort it it will work until they've gone. im sure you've all had that before.

In my experience on those , the 168 can mean virtually anything , I had one back in the summer , It was very intermittent, and those are a swine to sort. I wont tell you what I changed but it never fixed it , we ended up getting a fixed price from Baxi, they came and put loads of parts on it , and threw the new ones away even the baxi guy didnt trust them .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton E168 error help. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock