Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton (Netaheat) Profile 40e from 1988 - worth powerflushing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Okay, so my boiler kettles fairly badly once it reaches a moderate temperature even under conditions that are allowing good flow rates. Having resolved the system air ingress, let's move on.

The Netaheat Profile (later rebranded simply as the Profile) has a cast-iron heat exchanger. It has been run with Sentinel inhibitor for around the last 10 years but has had air ingress issues, and various amateur (and poor-quality professional) work has been carried out to the system at times, which may mean that there is limescale in the heat exchanger.

The system has a magnaclean on it for the last couple of years. It seems to be picking up more sludge than flakey rust particles, but pickup now seems to have tailed off.

I have tried the Adey MC3 cleanser as someone on here suggested, which did nothing whatever.

System water quality isn't terrible, with a glass drawn from the lowest point being almost free from debris and a lighter yellow than white wine.

The boiler has two top pipe connexions (not sure if the H.Ex. contains a dip tube or not - probably not, as the boiler was, for a time, installed with reversed flow and return (!) and worked well, albeit it ran about 10°C above the correct temperature due to the stat being on what should have been the flow pipe).

I have in the past tried draining the system via the boiler drain cap while the boiler was out of use awaiting a part, and didn't get an awful lot of of it. There are no flow issues within the system, with all the radiators heating up normally and without any indication of sludge problems.

Obviously, whenever the system has been drained, it is likely than some dirt will have been pushed the boiler's way, as the boiler is lower than the upstairs radiators.

As my gas usage is very low, I intend to keep the boiler.

Worth flushing, in case it's limescale mixed with magnetite forming a solid block in the boiler? Is it better to flush boiler and system separately to ensure system dirt does not enter boiler, or is powerflushing as good as it's supposed to be.

Bit sceptical about efficacy of powerflushing, having flushed the same system (elsewhere) two years in a row, using a Kamco flusher and Kamco magnetic filter unit, radiator SDS vibration tool, and acid flusher, neutralised etc. etc. all to Kamco guidelines (did the job properly), and got almost as much out the second time as the first time. This makes me wonder how much dirt is actually removed, particularly in a boiler which has a large area (hence lower flow speed than pipework) and (unlike a radiator) can't really be agitated.

Or is it more likely to be caused by corrosion of the H Ex? In which case, flushing won't help?

Weirdly, I once worked on a system which had a Houswarmer S boiler running on a semi-gravity Primatic system (so no inhibitor at all) and used to bang loudly. The kettling stopped completely after a gravity flush (i.e. a few drain downs and refill).

You could try the BG trick, putting Lenor fabric softener in the system, if not have you tried the ACTUAL Fernox noise one? Have a few Solo WM's still that really take to it

I tried Sentinel X200 once. It did something (not much). No harm in trying the F2 or whatever they call it, if you've had better experience with it.

I would prefer to powerflush, if anyone thinks it could work, as if there is limescale, it can't be doing much for efficiency...

... would I be right to take the relative quiet on this thread though as people's opinion that a powerflush is unlikely to help very much and is over-rated for this sort of thing?

they were never the quitest heat exchanger if the kettling is bothering you i would put a couple of bottles of x800 in the sytem for a few days then drain and flush

Interesting, thanks Steve. Noisy old boiler actually - the (newish) fan is well audible (doesn't help that the impeller isn't even true), and one of the solonoids has quite a hum (and had had for as long as I've owned the boiler).

So is it normal for a Netaheat Profile to bang and pop? It isn't just a creaking! Were they like this from new?

I suppose the idea that the boiler isn't being maintained in the best possible way bothers me more than the actual noise, which I can live with.

You would recommend a week with x800 and gravity or mains flush rather than an hour with Kamco FX2 and a powerflush?

If so, why?

I ask this because I have only ever powerflushed when working with an RGI who had been on Kamco courses and seemed to believe that powerflushing was the best way of cleaning a system and I lack enough personal experience to have my own opinion.

they were never the quitest heat exchanger if the kettling is bothering you i would put a couple of bottles of x800 in the sytem for a few days then drain and flush
X800 shouldn’t be left in the system longer then 24 hours mate.

Cheers. Not impressed with Sentinel to be honest. I did their online training. They asked for feedback. Short version was 'an insult to my intelligence'.
X800 is good on ally heat ex and rads though

Cast iron H.ex and steel rads here though, so not a problem in this instance. Though I agree Sentinel chemicals do seem to be reasonably good.

22 primaries, then 22 (and 15 where appropriate, to individual rads), and 16mm underfloor MLCP. But, like I say, no problems with circulation.

22 primaries, then 22 (and 15 where appropriate, to individual rads), and 16mm underfloor MLCP. But, like I say, no problems with circulation.
I would use my KAMCO & some FX2 in the hope it worked but nothing is 100% in this game.

So that's a vote for powerflushing.

Would still like to hear from the others who suggested alternatives as to why they would prefer the alternatives to powerflushing...?

Just a side note also. MC3 is for new systems. You wanted MC5 mate.

Left x800 in for a week no problems

Nothing to do with original post, but good on you for keeping a fine boiler in top fettle and NOT falling for the "save the environment" LIES of manufacturers.

My own is a 1997 Ideal mexico with a compensated flow system. Beats all my neighbours hands down on gas consumption AND lifetime value

I save the environment by using public transport where possible, not eating much meat, not flying, and insulating and not over-heating my house (thus meaning that the existing boiler has less work to do anyway) lol.

Hi,
Try good make noise reducer, this will quite the boiler. In my personal opinion I would change the boiler as it is not safe especially if you have a family at home. The old boiler tends to give up anytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton (Netaheat) Profile 40e from 1988 - worth powerflushing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock