Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton performa fan fault in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi everyone,

I am going to look at a performa this evening. The customer called this morning, said its showing fan fault and he's 'narrowed it down to pcb or fan'. Sounds like he is going to be great, he has wired up loads of boilers apparently.

What checks can I do to test the components? Does anyone know what readings I should be looking for on the fan?

Any readings for the aps?

Is there a way to tell if the pcb has had it?

Anything else to look out for?
Thanks.

OK I have been to have a look. Customer wired up a slave lead to the fan, it works, same with the pump.

Flame ignition and fan/flue fault lights both flashing.

Reset the boiler and turn on tap to create a demand and boiler locks out immediately. In approximately 1 second.

Have you had the boiler apart? Condensate blocked?
Ionisation sensor Burnt out?
Gas valve ( connect manometer to inLet to test)
TBH , if he has mucked about with it, could be anything!

Have you had the boiler apart? Condensate blocked?
Ionisation sensor Burnt out?
Gas valve ( connect manometer to inLet to test)
TBH , if he has mucked about with it, could be anything!

Thanks for the reply.

Condense was clear.

I don't do a lot of breakdowns. I don't really want to go back because he is adamant it's the pcb. I'll tell him to buy the parts he thinks it is and I'll fit them.

Where would I find the Ionisation sensor?

Gc: 17.393.13

Its never been serviced.

Signs of multiple old leaks inside.

Coming out with we will get it relaced in a few months and you can do it. Not particularly interested.

Cannot find that GCN

Fix the clamp on the flue. If it can pull air in there it is not pulling it through the Combustion chamber. This could cause over same results as gassing. It would most likely show as a fan/airflow fault.

I have not seen it so I could be wrong!

Sorry its 47 393 13.

Yeah I have said to him that clam could be causing it so would need to replace and go from there. He said its been playing up for about a year and has needed resetting regularly. Can't see it ending well for me if I get too involved.

New boiler

Sorry its 47 393 13.

Yeah I have said to him that clam could be causing it so would need to replace and go from there. He said its been playing up for about a year and has needed resetting regularly. Can't see it ending well for me if I get too involved.

To check it, ali foil tape the gap, try it out. If it works, take the tape off and repair the clamp. Its only a bit of sheet metal. Make a new one.

If it isn't that at least you've ruled it out. Take it from there.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to call the customer now and suggest new clamp and pcb but will say as he has told me it's been working intermittently for the past year there could be other faults.

I'll probably take an aps also.

He's been an electrician for about 40 years, he has changed parts on the boiler in the past, diverter and microswitches.

I know what he is up to, as its been playing up but he can't put his finger on it, he wants me to take the hit for the pcb if it still doesn't work.

The boiler goes to lockout immediately the second there is a demand.

He has phoned me and said he wants a pcb and new clamp.

I have made it clear that there may be multiple issues.

If you want to swerve this job can you not advise him ( if they still do it) BG one off repair? Said he will replace in a few months let them sort it and leave your number for the replacement install...lol regards Turnpin:)

If you want to swerve this job can you not advise him ( if they still do it) BG one off repair? Said he will replace in a few months let them sort it and leave your number for the replacement install...lol regards Turnpin:)
The one off repair is when they sign up to a 12 month contract from what I remember.

LOL.. I still might suggest that.

I have replaced quite a few pcbs on these boilers and I've been right. Had a couple of fans too. If he hadnt been messing with it, and putting doubts in my head I'd go for pcb just because the boiler does absolutely nothing before it locks out.

This is a walk away job ! he has been messing around inside boiler cant fix it and now wants to place the blame in your hands, Mate if you touch this one your leaving your self wide open for a big hit on parts . You have got to learn to say no to these kind of jobs, He took it apart tell him it his problem , quote for new boiler only

This is a walk away job ! he has been messing around inside boiler cant fix it and now wants to place the blame in your hands, Mate if you touch this one your leaving your self wide open for a big hit on parts . You have got to learn to say no to these kind of jobs, He took it apart tell him it his problem , quote for new boiler only
Or charge him for the repair, inform him that because he has messed with it the pcb may not fix it (like you have) and charge for a full commission and go through it with a fine comb.

Just sent his text to him, will await reply.

Screenshot_20180606-083153.png

Can you edit the picture to not contain his number or postcode? You might need @ShaunCorbs to do it for you.

Sorry I didn't even think about that.

It can be deleted completely if needed.

Turned out to be the pcb so all sorted, the customer was happy and relieved.

Sorry I didn't even think about that.

It can be deleted completely if needed.

Turned out to be the pcb so all sorted, the customer was happy and relieved.
It is mostly always the board on these from my own experience mate

Did he tell you I told you so :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton performa fan fault in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock