Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton Precision Condensate Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_8372.jpgIMG_8374.jpgA customer has recently purchased a new house and wants to temporarily install a washing machine into the same room containing the Potterton Precision System boiler and where, conveniently, the mains water stop tap is located. I've tapped into the mains water and provided a cold feed for the washing machine but when I went to sort out the waste water outlet I encountered a problem. I cut into the 40mm condensate waste pipework from the boiler (which runs to a drain) and found the pipe was full of a plastic coated wadding !?
The wadding is almost the same diameter as the internal diameter of the waste pipe and I haven't a clue why it's there, the purpose it serves or how on earth the condensate has been draining (pictures attached).

Can anyone please enlighten me, thank you.

Pipe insulated within a pipe?
Thank you for the response scott_d, thats certainly something I'd not considered, but why ? The pipe run's in the same room as the boiler, in a room that's attached to the house. I know condensate pipes can freeze up sometimes but we're not living in the Artic, a bit OTT IMO.

Better safe than sorry.
can you repipe and put external insulation on?

Better safe than sorry.
can you repipe and put external insulation on?

Yes, I can repute, I guess I have no other option ! The strange thing is, there's no external frost stat installed adjacent to the boiler or anywhere so why did the installer bother ?

That's condensulate, at least that's what it was called. British Gas were installing it on virtually all their boilers at one stage (could still be I left a few years ago now) and they re installing Potterton Precision as their budget option.
It's the black corrugated pipe you see at the boiler end wrapped in white insulation and then a thin polythene cover over that. You run the condense in inch and a half waste and then push the condensulate down the inside of it. Stops the condense freezing.
You won't be able to connect your washing machine to it as it fills up the inch a half pipe.

That's condensulate, at least that's what it was called. British Gas were installing it on virtually all their boilers at one stage (could still be I left a few years ago now) and they re installing Potterton Precision as their budget option.
It's the black corrugated pipe you see at the boiler end wrapped in white insulation and then a thin polythene cover over that. You run the condense in inch and a half waste and then push the condensulate down the inside of it. Stops the condense freezing.
You won't be able to connect your washing machine to it as it fills up the inch a half pipe.

Thanks for that samwilko, I'm trying to think of ways of pulling the 21mm condensate and insulation out without totally repiping but I'm Struggling for a solution ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton Precision Condensate Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have moved our washing machine into the garage but there isn’t a drain for the waste pipe. The attached image is of the waste pipe with the condensate pipe from the boiler, can I use a tee join and connect the washing machine pipe? The pipe leads outside and is saddled to the main waste pipe.
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I hope you can help. We were getting some work done and our builder attached the boiler condensate pipe to the sink waste pipe. This was all then covered with dot and dab. Shown in the picture, red arrow. So the only thing visible now is a round pipe from the wall. We are yet to fit...
Replies
Views
Dear All New member here, coming looking for help. A few weeks ago I had work carried out by a British Gas Homecare service technician. It required a drain and refill of the system, and as he left, he advised my I would need to bleed all the radiators, at some point, given a few days, when...
Replies
Views
J
Hi All, I'm plumbing in a washing machine into our new house and rather than a normal waste pipe this house just has a hole in the ground. It looks as if the hole used to be a 40mm pipe but it has been sawn off at ground level such that the top of the pipe is flush with the floor tiles. This...
Replies
Views
Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady upstairs had a plumber in July who relocated her washbasin shower and fitted a new radiator.He caused a bad leak and came to fix it in august and I thought...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock