Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton Profile 40e problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Tyrrell

Gas Engineer
Morning ladies and gentlemen,
I attended a call first thing this morning to deal with a boiler that wasn't behaving correctly and after checking everything that I can think of, I thought I'd ask on here:

Symptom - first thing in the morning the boiler takes around 20 minutes to kick into life, but once started it runs fine.
What I've done - checked the 3 port for activity on CH & DHW
checked the stat(s)
checked the gas rate/burner pressure
checked the pump
checked the flue for partial blockage

I can't think of anything else that I could check, and I have no idea why it takes longer to fire up in the morning.
Last service was in February.
Any ideas?

Did you check the venturi on the fan is clean and check the air pressure switch?
It may run better once it's fired and warmed up during the day ( if it's off overnight).

Is the fan running in the morning for the 20 min or is it that nothing happens for 20 min before the fan runs?

Thanks for the info - didn't think to check the APS :( so I'll have to return next week and have a look at that, as for checking the fan in the morning when it switches on - I'm not awake at the time they get up so I don't think I'll be checking that myself :)

I think you'd have to be there to check if it is receiving a demand in real time which I presume is impractical. The APS has been a problem, check the tubes. If memory serves me well, the thermostat control has a phial running from it. I have had them fail.

That's an old boiler. It wouldn't b a partially blocked pilot taking a load of sparks before it lights.
Have seen that in the past.
Why don't u ask the customer t leave it off overnight and call to it first thing and see what's happening for yourself.

Known for faulty PCBs dry joint on board maybe, ask if board has been changed.

Is it a pilot ignition model, if so could be a partially blocked pilot, from memory the pilot sense is the metal bar that pilot flame envelopes this bar can erode a become shorter than necessary to ensure adequate sensing of the flame. A poor earth connection can also have an effect on the flame sense.

Agree with Bright Spark. If its all working when u arrive, you'll be left checking everything. Better to see problem from beginning. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton Profile 40e problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock