Search the forum,

Discuss pricing up for little job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
This should be a question on your brain teaser thread..... Why is there ptfe on this valve?

First rule of Plumb Club; when asking for advice - LISTEN!

you should never have metal on metal water can and will find its path to leak metal on metal thread = water to travel up the thread thats what i was shown by a plumber to do it this way. we all have our own way of doing things

you should never have metal on metal water can and will find its path to leak metal on metal thread = water to travel up the thread thats what i was shown by a plumber to do it this way. we all have our own way of doing things

That's on a thread to thread joint. Not a compression.

Your are referring to the type of joint like where an outside tap screws into a wall plate elbow. (No olive)

Never have metal on metal lol
What material is an olive what material is a copper pipe
There a clue in the name lmao

The seal is between the olive and the copper pipe though, paste or ptfe is used to take out slight imperfections in the pipe, there should be no water coming through the thread if there is water slightly nip it up, or dismantle bit more paste or ptfe.

Whoever told you this is wrong.........

Did the plumber who taught you speak English?

Serious question though, is this one of your jobs?

working along side a old boy plumbing all new pipe work rads the lot i was shown to rap all olives and threads and when asked to use paste aswell doing what Im told.
i was only allowd to rap joints valves and rap and fit rad tails.
then on too hanging rads fixing clips pipe runs core drilling making up bathroom suites then soldering fitting suites with the boss then helping first fix test then 2nd fix

I've called 27 plumbers merchants and they're all out of PTFE.

i can sell you some of mine :waving: give me money there not out there just shut on bank holy Monday tut tut tut

Last edited by a moderator:
i can sell you some of mine :waving: give me money

Surprised you've got any left.

In all seriousness, and I mean this now, if you want to become a plumber you're best learning from someone with lots of experience and preferably qualified. Forget everything you've been taught so far and start over from scratch, get yourself onto a college course too and don't be tempted by fast track offers.

im on the card for a 2 year course at my local college.
the guy i worked with done all his valves like this and tails ect never had a leak that i know of?
when i got into college my plans are to start off from scratch because im there to learn and there there to teach!

its just that way iv been shown..

im on the card for a 2 year course at my local college.
the guy i worked with done all his valves like this and tails ect never had a leak that i know of?
when i got into college my plans are to start off from scratch because im there to learn and there there to teach!

its just that way iv been shown..
Well if you're willing to accept that what you've learned so far is wrong and knuckle down in college and fully focus on learning and listening you should come out the other end with some well earned certificates. I hope one day you can come back to this thread and see the funny side. ;)

Good luck.

I also have a little part time occupation working with 320 hp caterpilar engines, the fuel line are in copper in places and can run at very high pressure, on the injector side and all that stops the diesel from spurting all over the engine room is a brass nut on a thread with an olive to make the seal, funny how I dont have fuel everywhere and theres not a sign of ptfe or jointing compound in the place. SP you need to shut up and listen and learn, at present you know the sum of diddly sqat and are making yourself look foolish. its good to see your attending a college, just start learning how to do it right and proffessionally and no more pics of your work, its a nighutmare that brings this trade into disrepute.

As above good luck and get learning the right way. A change of name would help

[video=youtube;-9c5LWFI_M4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9c5LWFI_M4[/video]

Must be wrong though because he hasn't used any paste or ptfe. At the most I would use a small wipe of paste on the olive.

"Nout wrong with that" should be followed by "is there ?"

are you actually taking the mick here ? Is this a set up ?

What have you used ptfe tape atall ? Its a new fitting is it not ? Did you use copper olives ? This is an actual joke ! I wouldnt spend that money id save it for the excess on your PL insurence ! Best hope you have it since youve already strained the nut and as soon as it freezes ! POP !!

Go show this to your college see what they say !

good to see he left some towels underneath that iso!! just in case !! :p !

a compression fitting is designed to not need any paste or ptfe tape. Its only the fact that many are made poorly or there are slight pipe inperfections that we tend to use something for added peace of mind. I would normally recommend to use no paste or tape , because most use too much and make thing worse.

some pastes may not be suitable to use with tape, best to use either one or the other.

theres no point to putting tape on a compression fitting thread, it wont leak down a thread on these fittings as they are nowt to do with the water seal.

Please dont take any comments on the forum as a negative, we all learn from discussion of these things. There will be as many people reading the thread thinking i do the same as thinking you dont need to.

Who wants to start the bidding on whether he gets called back or not.

ÂŁ30 should have just about covered materials then looking at that. If compression fittings needed ptfe they would all be supplied with a roll when you buy one.

Fair play to you for putting he pic up and taking the criticism well. Not much I can add to the many many comments since. Put it down to experience and move on. Next time it will look very different.... WON'T IT?!

Maybe the poor lad wasn't taught incorrectly maybe its his understanding of what he's learnt,

I don't think he believed his work to be slatted as bad as it has been, no one in there right mind would put up that pic knowing it was so bad.

With any luck he won't be scared to come back and ask a bit more......

Nothing wrong with making a mistake as long as you learn from it. We've all done something daft in the past.

I have stuck a 32mm core in the wrong place because I didn't draw clear lines.
I once got a woodchip in my eye because I didn't wear safety glasses using a circy saw. Had to pick it out with a knife.
I also forgot to cap off ALL the pipes on a bathroom first fix. Legged it back to stopcock when I heard water gushing from the pipes for thermo mixer shower.

Point is, make a mistake, live and learn!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to pricing up for little job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock