Search the forum,

Discuss Problems plumbing in Miele washing machine waste pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Black bit in the hose if/ when it comes out.

Wouldn't pull on the centre part. Try pulling on the outside wall, left side then right etc etc

So just an update!

Problem solved!

And it was, as I'm sure you've all already guessed - completely self inflicted!

See attached photo for what was inside the waste pipe, over to you guys but I guess this is a blanking cap which would have already been in the spigot, and must have been transferred to the waste pipe at some point when I put it on. I don't remember it but it must have been there when I sawed the spigot down to size. What a muppet I am. At least, with your help, I figured it out before the Miele engineer arrives on Friday as I'm guessing they would not have been amused....

Apologies for taking so much of your time with such a trivial thing, it did cause a load of stress this end with a brand new washing machine so I'm really grateful for your help.

IMG_3483.JPG

If I could just trouble you all for one final bit of advice regarding capping off the extremely stinky standpipe (the reason I started all this malarkey in the first place). Thanks for the tip on the quick fix - a carrier bag over the top. Presumably it needs to be airtight so could I cling film over as well as a temp fix?

And then when I permanently cap it - if you were doing it would you do it right at the end of the standpipe or would you do it at the compression fitting under the sink - see 2 photos attached. I'm a bit at a loss of which bit to buy

IMG_3484.JPG

IMG_3485.JPG

Gaffer tape will last for years, but yes, clinglfilm and a rubber band, whatever really. It just needs to be airtight to stop drain smells coming out. Not really worth capping 'properly' as you may as well take the whole dodgy branch and flexible section out at that rate.

Ideally take the tee (arrowed) out and replace with a straight section.
Easier - cut on my scribbly line, making sure you leave enough to get the cap on this horizontal run and use your cap here. You can't cap at the compression fitting under the sink as this is the outlet - you'd be capping off your sink.

Thanks for the advice - is there a diagram with your scribbly line on it - I can't see it? When I said compression fitting under the sink I wasn't talking about the one directly under the sink but the one in this photo where the weird flexible pipe attaches - top right of photo.

IMG_3487.JPG

Capped! That whole dodgy stretch should probably just come out but no time right now

Many thanks again

IMG_3488.JPG

There should have been a picture. I was going to suggest cutting that branch back to before the flexi ie under the sink slightly more left of where the 'weird flexible pipe attaches' and capping there, but quite honestly what you've done is fine.

Yeh you can cut the wastepipe before the tee piece under your sink then use a compression 40mm coupling and use abit of the old pipe you cut out to make up the distance from coupling to trsp.

Your suggestion is better still, Sammathias, if the OP doesn't mind buying a coupling. But then it will look too professional and will be open to criticism ;)

Plumbing problems can be really annoying. So for a stress-free way of dealing with such issues, I would highly recommend that you hire an expert

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? The OP was just unlucky, if they follow your advice then the forum may as well close down now.
Agree. The comment you were referring to wasn't helpful. Or appropriate - looks like the OP has already sorted his problem out very well without hiring an expert.

Absolutely - problem all solved thanks to some great help on here, for which I’m very grateful, I’m all for calling in the professionals when needed, but it’s nice to try stuff for yourself when you can, it’s rewarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Problems plumbing in Miele washing machine waste pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock