Search the forum,

Discuss Problems with Bristan Easyfit Kitchen Taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between June 2015 and June 2016, I fitted 21 Easyfit kitchen taps. I have recently had 4 cases of the taps ‘blowing off’ the base and flooding people’s kitchens. These occurred 8, 9, 11 and 13 months after installation. In each case, the base was installed the correct way round, and the grub screws which secure the tap to the base were done up tight initially. However, it has become clear that Bristan’s design causes the grub screws to gradually work loose over a period of time. Because of the seriousness of the risk that these pose to people’s properties, I have now made 3 videos to inform and explain about the problem:
Part 1 – Originally intended to warn my own 21 Easyfit customers
https://youtu.be/chTGvh-Rsas

Part 2 – Exploring why there’s a flaw in Bristan’s design
https://youtu.be/2pPnPskAWAg

Part 3 – Suggestions as to how Bristan might fix the flaw
https://youtu.be/0HAhaUhkGkE

These are also easy to find if you search YouTube for ‘Hamish the Plumber’ and look for the ones of me holding up a Bristan tap box.

If you have fitted any of these, please post any problems you have had. Include relevant details, such as specific model, serial number if known, install date, problem date, and Bristan’s response if and when you contacted them.

I believe these taps are most likely to blow when they are being turned off, as the pressure increase gives them the final nudge they need to blow. But they might also blow when something else turns off on the cold water mains, like the washing machine or dishwasher. So there is a real risk of these blowing when no-one is at home, or in the middle of the night, causing a serious flood.

Thanks for the explanation. I haven't fotted any but if I did, I would be putting loctite on the grub screw!

Fitted Easyfit taps about 18 months ago, they blew off approx. 6 months later, contacted Bristan but they did not want to know. I refuse to fit any Bristan product since.

Very informative....buyer beware...thank's Hamish and Albert..(Bertie)....regards Turnpin;)

Never fitted one but I almost fitted one of these a while back, the customer had seen the promo video and was insistent when I arrived that they wanted a Bristan Easyfit tap. After explaining that they were just as difficult to initially install and that they would pretty much be tied to only having Bristan taps in the future if they wanted to make the most out of their initial investment they went with Grohe taps.
After watching your vids I now have two reasons not to fit these.
It's despicable that Bristan are blaming the plumbers for their design flaw, plumbers should vote with their wallets and simply avoid Bristan.

Thanks for the heads up Hamish.

Last edited:
Hi townfanjon. If you have fitted loads, you have a bit of a task on your hands because I am sure you will want to warn your customers. You could go round to each of your customers and check the grub screws yourself, but they might then expect a new tap at your expense.

Here's what I would recommend you do:

1) Call Bristan's customer services, explain you have seen the videos, and that you need to warn your customers. Request a case reference number that you can quote to your customers, so that when they in turn call Bristan, they can quote your case reference and will be identified as your customers.
2) Go through all your purchase invoices and make a list of all the Easyfit taps you have bought, identifying numbers of each model.
3) Go through all your job invoices and try to account for all those Easyfit taps. Make a list of customers' names, addresses, contact number, install date, and model. Share that list with Bristan.
4) Contact each of your customers, explain your concerns, ask them to watch my first video and then to call Bristan, quoting your specific case reference number, and requesting a replacement tap.
5) Follow up with each of them to check progress.

That is still a lot of work that you're not likely to get paid for.

Having said that, there are still two problems:
1) Bristan haven't yet fixed the flaw, so they don't yet have sound equivalents to replace them with. But at least if your warn your customers, it is then Bristan's responsibility to sort the problem out from there.
2) Bristan haven't yet announced a product recall, so I don't know how cooperative you will find them. But if it is your customers who are calling them, saying that they've watched the videos, and want a new tap under Bristan's guarantee, I don't think they will have much option.

Things will be much simpler after Bristan have made a public statement.

I work for a housing association, we have fitted about 10 of these 6 have failed. We won't be fitting anymore. Was in the merchant yesterday and noticed a stack of easy fit taps in the clearence section.

I've just published a shorter video intended for sharing more widely with your customers, friends, and other plumbers, explaining what to do immediately if you have an Easyfit tap in your kitchen. Please share this as much as possible to get the message out. Given that Bristan don't yet have sound replacements for these taps, and haven't yet announced a recall, this video might be more helpful than my original Part 1. It starts off with the same opening clip as Part 3.

I've published it on YouTube at:
https://youtu.be/j3kcB47pvSM

and on Facebook at:
https://www.************/HamishThePlumber/videos/1075505982557203/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Problems with Bristan Easyfit Kitchen Taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock