Search the forum,

Discuss PTFE or LSX rad tails in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a benefit of using one over the other on radiator tails? Only ask as I have a couple of cast iron rads to fit and manufacturer says LSX over PTFE

LSX is clear whilst PTFE, well I'm sure you know the rest :)

Or loctite 577 for 100% leak free

Still not tried that , went for some the other day and had a heart attack at the price

Lasts bloody ages tho mate and tbh it's a bit steep but you only need one leak on ptfe to pay for it

Hasn't failed me yet instantly

Like all these glues, choice of material, cleanness, temperature of working area and pressure all play a part.

Ptfe tape at correct amount and smear of paste will never leak on typical rad threads and rad valve tails.
Not arguing that Loctite 577 isn't better, but just wonder why you would have the need to use it on threads that are certain to seal with tape, unless you are putting the tape on wrong, - usually too little.

Isn't lsx just silicone sealant?

Ptfe for me, if it's not sealing with ptfe then the problems with the fittings. Avoid ptfe and oil based joint compound, the compound can attack the tape.

Ptfe for me, if it's not sealing with ptfe then the problems with the fittings. Avoid ptfe and oil based joint compound, the compound can attack the tape.
I have had a couple of tails going into towel tails that I have had to use gas PTFE to get them to seal. But to be honest I think that was the finish on the rad and less to do with the PTFE

And small amount of threads on towel rail also a problem to seal with ptfe tape. Unless the tail has a shoulder to tighten against the towel rail, or the tails with the rubber seal

And small amount of threads on towel rail also a problem to seal with ptfe tape. Unless the tail has a shoulder to tighten against the towel rail, or the tails with the rubber seal
Somebody else has said about the tail with a seal but I have only seen the extensions with a seal. Got a link?

Never used lsx ... don't even know if I ever will. Is that stuff good and useful at all? I think some stuff is not necessary to buy because the older ways always worked and will in the future.

I always used boss white paste for years on ptfe tape and definitely no affect on the tape, as have obviously been removing some of the fittings and boilers, often usually decades later.
I also use ptfe tape on oil line fittings, which is everlasting on them, although it does look transparent if coated in kerosine.
Teflon is supposed to be non reactive - so it should be immune to corrosive chemicals.
I used ptfe from early days, despite some plumbers scepticism because I know a DuPont guy who highly rated it back then, as they developed it.

Somebody else has said about the tail with a seal but I have only seen the extensions with a seal. Got a link?

Am getting them on a lot of rad valves nowadays. Fitted a couple of chrome valves today that have them.
Some of the Mistral valves packs have the rubber seal tails

Yes it is however not all silicone sealants are the same, every manufacture makes a range of sealants.
Over the years I`ve had joints domestic & commercial at low and high pressure that just wont totally seal with tape or cord on their own and need a smear of something. Most of my work is with old fittings not new though.

Opps! What did her indoors say?
I'm single (very very long story, hence not many posts on here this year!)

I've fixed it for now, got my lunch box under it; it's actually a plastic thread on a BWT twin stage 22mm filter kit. I thought about using my normal PTFE but then thought "this is what this stuffs supposed to be for" etc....

Stick to Standard Procedures......

I've fixed it for now, got my lunch box under it; it's actually a plastic thread on a BWT twin stage 22mm filter kit. I thought about using my normal PTFE but then thought "this is what this stuffs supposed to be for" etc..

Stick to Standard Procedures....
Check my link a few posts back, don`t think it works on plastic.

I've fixed it for now, got my lunch box under it; it's actually a plastic thread on a BWT twin stage 22mm filter kit. I thought about using my normal PTFE but then thought "this is what this stuffs supposed to be for" etc..

Stick to Standard Procedures....

thats where you went wrong 577 is only for metal/ non ferrous threads wont work on plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to PTFE or LSX rad tails in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock