Search the forum,

Discuss Pulsing mains supply problem & knocking noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WesleyS

Hi, since yesterday I have been aware of a faint knocking noise on my mains inlet. The noise occurs every few minutes and varies in loudness then it will stop for anything up to an hour or so and then it will start again. This happened all through the night when everything is off. When I run the cold tap the water pulses, this is more apparent when the toilet refills or if I run the mains fed shower (you can feel it through the shower head). I’m on direct supply with no meter and the problem doesn’t appear to be aggravated by me using any taps in the house, I also have a combi boiler so no water tank.
Any help would be great!

Turn off all outlets. Put a screw driver to the cold water main and put the other end to your ear. ( not the pointy end tho :) )
Can you hear water running.
Could be under ground leak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks
for the quick reply!

I have the washing machine on at the moment but will try the screwdriver thing
later. I’m not a meter and the banging noise occurs regularly unless I run a
tap. I’m waiting for my neighbor to come home as I will be asking them; I’m
hoping it’s a mains issue
!

Try turning of the isolating valve to the WC cistern temporalily .. it may be the ballvalve bouncing if the noise stops replace the ballvalve!

Hi, I don’t appear to have an isolator for the WC, whilst under the sink the washing machine refilled and it is making a very definite whooshing pulsing sound, not a continuous noise but one like its flow rate is pulsing. As soon as it finished filling the knocking noise has returned, sort of 3 bangs like a hammer then a very faint couple of taps which are barely audible in a continuous cycle for about four minutes then it stops for a while and then starts again. I have also just checked the ballvalve and its motionless also if I hold the valve its not vibrating when the knocking noise occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pulsing mains supply problem & knocking noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, I hope you are doing well. I have a problem. Not sure if this was always like that or something is degrading. Whenever the toilet refills when it finishes there is a knock in the pipes. The same happens when the washing machine finishes taking water. Is this because there is too tight...
Replies
Views
Hi there, My boiler (Worcester Greenstar Ri) has started making a soft knocking noise when it turns on, and again a few times when it turns off. I've attached a short video of the sound. It isn't constant, it seems to happen within the first 10 mins of the boiler starting up, then you won't...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
In our sealed Megalo system, when hot water tap is used (say in bathroom shower) the megaflo is taking in some fresh water, I guess to compensate for the water used. The incoming water go via a pressure relief valve [most likely its this one: Heatrae Sadia 8 Bar Pressure Relief Valve -...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a strange grating noise when the mains water is running in a property I'm looking after. It's a ground floor flat, with a first floor flat above it, and both share the same mains water pipe, and I believe the stopcock behind the washing machine isolates all water to both properties...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock