Search the forum,

Discuss Pump and zone valves on return, but what's the system called. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

student plumber

Firstly, this is not a job and I will not be working.

We recently had our 3-port or mid-position replaced with zone valves, couldn't really see what it was that well due to its installation.

I had looked at it in wonder for some time as what I thought was flow went into the hot water or heating side, then the other side and the inlet went to their circuits.

I (only) felt the pipes to see which were hot.
But it turns out the two pipes came down to 3 way valve, (not going up), changed to 2 zone valves, across to MB3 Spirotap cleaner, then up to pump (arrow is pointing up), then up across and down into boiler.
The flow goes up, tee's off to 2 pipes then up into ceiling.

BG said all the properties on site are like it, the builders subbed the work out to 2 old boys and that's how they did all of them.

But he couldn't remember what the system is called?
Any ideas, I've been in some old properties but never seen this, our house was only built in 1980?

Will send a picture when finished on ablutions

Had some stuff to do first, but as promised, here is our boiler.

It was a Y-Plan now it's an S-Plan, but what's it called as it's on the return?
Does it have a name or just "pumped S-Plan"?

Cannot get in to show arrows or anything, but I remember the head on the 3 port was on the side.
So the valve was flush with the wall and all pipes were close and parallel to the wall and the head was a big white Drayton thing that was sticking out.
Not like most sitting on top of a T.

Like the T is now and the valves are coming forwards.

1496763710244976022279.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't look like it but I can assure you it is pumped return.
You will notice the BG contract sticker.
The bare square on the wall was a thermostat?
And yes it is plugged into a 2 gang socket.

Just pumped S plan

Was prob gravity hot water at one stage then converted to y plan for ease

Not the best having zone valves on the return but it will work

Also missing a bypass

Just pumped S plan

Was prob gravity hot water at one stage then converted to y plan for ease

Not the best having zone valves on the return but it will work

Also missing a bypass
I agree mate but that may be in the airing cupboard?

So why the confusion from BG man that there was some other name for it?
It is all open vented and if there is a bypass it will be in the airing cupboard but will have a look when cat is out of the way.
Would it have a bypass as open vented, we've only fitted them on sealed?

I agree mate but that may be in the airing cupboard?

dont think there will be one, dont forget port valves are on the return, so needs to be after these

All systems should have a bypass but not all have them also it may not be in the airing cupboard

It could be a primatic cylinder, no F & E tank.
Therefore has the plan & pump on the return to not burst the bubble in the cylinder.
One thing for certain if it is, the system shouldn't have any chemicals ( inhibitors) in it as if it burst it'd contaminate the Dhw.

It could be a primatic cylinder, no F & E tank.
Therefore has the plan & pump on the return to not burst the bubble in the cylinder.
One thing for certain if it is, the system shouldn't have any chemicals ( inhibitors) in it as if it burst it'd contaminate the Dhw.

Definitely indirect cylinder and F&E in the loft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pump and zone valves on return, but what's the system called. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock