Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Pump supply question in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. chrisneill

chrisneill New Member

Ok - let me start by being clear - my plumbing knowledge is non existent, but I would like to think I have a very simple question. I have a 2 storey house. HW tank upstairs. Bathroom downstairs with a pump in adjacent cupboard. Pump currently fed by 15mm H and C. I have a Stuart Turner pump in the garage with 22mm inlet/output. I have bought 4 speed fit connections that are 15mm one side and 22mm the other, allowing me to effectively connect the pump hoses to a 15mm feed. I know before I am told this is not ideal. All i am trying to do is increase the power of our shower without having to change the pipework to 22mm - it would be very very expensive based on the route of the pipes. So, I know it is not ideal, but is there any major problems with me doing this and will I get the extra power that I so very much want!!. The pump is a stuart turner monsoon 3 bar twin. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

any chance of a few pics of the existing install ?

and what rating is the existing pump?

3. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Would be better to replace the pipe work, but your existing pump is probably 1.5 bar and this one is 3 bar.
    So it will work better, but not twice as good. As the flow rate will be comprised by the bore of the pipe.

Will be better though.

4. chrisneill

chrisneill New Member

Thanks for thq quick replies - appreciate it. Photos difficult as not at home currently. Pump I have in place at moment is an easiflow or something like that (I believe it is a 2 bar). Oddly, I have been messing around over the past few weeks - no idea how but in putting the pump back and the associated pipes, the pressure is worse than before (cannot for the life of me figure out how that has happened). Good to know that nobody has come back and said 'Dont do it!'...yet

5. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

That extra 1 bar should make a massive difference. But pictures would be more ideal.

6. CountCowchula

CountCowchula Member

You must make sure the pump is fed in 22mm at least. 15mm pipework from your tanks to the pump will likely starve it of water which can cause problems ranging from the pump air locking (at best) to the seals leaking and damage to the property (at worst) it will also invalidate the guarantee.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chuck

Chuck Top Contributor!!

I'd have thought a 2 bar pump nearby and 15mm pipe should be fine to give you a decent shower, providing the pump is working properly and the shower head has an appropriate number of appropriately sized holes.

Have you checked the head is not chalked up? How long, for example, does it take the shower to fill a 1 litre jug with water? Where does the pump get its feed from?

8. M1keJ

M1keJ New Member

What are you using to isolate the pump? In my experience, if you are using the valves on the pump hoses, they aren't the best. Sometimes they don't reopen properly.
    Secondly, you will invalidate your warrantee if you fail to install the new pump as per manufacturers quide lines. I'm pretty sure all ST pumps require 22mm supplies, as well as a dedicated hot supply. From the pump is not as much of a problem though. Hope this helps

9. chrisneill

chrisneill New Member

Hi. Gate valves to isolate h and c supplies. Pump is from eBay so I've no concerns about invalidating a warranty. Will give it a go and see how I fare. Plan is to take the h and c 15mm feeds, push fit a converter to make 22mm then attach pump hoses. Confidence levels are low as I simply don't think I will get the volume of water into the pump to increase the pressure. What I remain dumbfounded about is that with all the messing about I've done the original pump has gone back in and the pressure is less than it was before I started messing about!! Should maybe learn a lesson from this!

10. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Don't use gate valves if you look inside the bore is less than 15mm, use full bore leaver valves

11. M1keJ

M1keJ New Member

Check your gate valves are still working, i.e. Haven't snapped, and that they're not restricting the flow....

12. Mikuni

Mikuni New Member

Sounds quite possible that your existing pump is failing - hence the poor performance. Do what you are suggesting with the replacement pump, and while not being ideal, it may be better just because the pump actually works to some extent ?!? A professional plumber would have to do it right, but in your case it looks better than what you have at the moment. All the best with it ! Mik.

13. Silvana Maccari

Silvana Maccari New Member

If you provide pictures it would be easy to understand for us. One extra bar will be ideal for you I assume.