Search the forum,

Discuss purging u6 meter, reading the volume passed through confusion in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

g60rge

Gas Engineer
Hi, im new here, im currently working towards my acs. Ive been practicing my purge calculations, ive been fine with them, but when it comes to checking the volume pass through whilst purging i need some clarification.

ok here goes

meter purge volume is 5 times badge capacity 5 x 0.071 = 0.355ft or 4 sections of the test dial.

so i have done my purge calculations and end up with 0.023

i understand i have to purge and ignite as its over 0.02

so how do i measure 0.023 on the dial?

This is what i think it is, and need this confirmed or guided towards the correct way please..

0.355ft is 0.01 in metric right? and thats 4 sections of the test dial,

so 0.01 divided by 4 = 0.0025 so each section of the dial is 0.0025?

0.023 divided by 0.0025 = 9.2

so i have to purge 9.2 sections of the test dial whilst applying ignition in order to light the appliance and get a good flame.

appriciate your time and help

one third rotation of the dial attempting lighting of a hotplate until flame established in real life.

ok but say im at college and being assessed, words like in the real world wont get me far. lol i have to be able to explain everything.

one 3rd of the dial is the meter purge volume, not the pipe and fittings volume right?

looking at the dail (using a clock as a example )it would be 25 past,hope that helps

my calc says 9.2 so starting from zero would be on the 9th dash

my gb purge calculator says just over 0.8ft

how are you guys getting just 2 -3 dashes on the dial which would be 0.2 - 0.3ft

i dont understand

the dial on the u6 has 10 increments, what would each increment relate to if we were talking metric?

4 increments is equivalent to about 0.010m3 as you said in your first post so one increment is roughyl 0.0025m3

So tell me, how are you supposed to light the cooker if you are not allowed to use electricity when purging?

with a match.lol

your purging through the appliance port to establish the flame to ignite the gas

So tell me, how are you supposed to light the cooker if you are not allowed to use electricity when purging?

you dont light the cooker while purging, and you dont light the cooker after purging till you are sure that any build up of gas has dissipated

If you have worked out your purge calculation to be 0.023m³ and you are purging it through an imperial meter you need to convert your metric volume to imperial by dividing by 0.0283

0.023m³ / 0.0283 = 0.813ft³ = 9 (rounded up) segments on the meter dial purged to ignition.

The 0.355ft³ or 0.01m³ is the std purge volume of meter and pipework ≤ 28mm where no calculations are required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hijack the thread but can some one confirm to me that the last three digits after decimal point on a g4 meter equate to whatever .*** on purge calculation? i.e if my calculation is say .02077 I would light up the appliance/hob until the meter read from say 54.000 to 54.020?

Thx

Is this purge calcultaion only if the pipe size is bigger than 28mm? As this is what it says in my book.

If that is the case kirkgas, then when the volume of gas does need lighting, and you purge it from a gas hob, how do you ignite it?

thanks for all the questions sheets you provided me last year kirk for my gas. They really helped me with my written exams!!

If that is the case kirkgas, then when the volume of gas does need lighting, and you purge it from a gas hob, how do you ignite it?

if you mean an IV of more than 0.02m3 this nned to be continually ignited till it lights as soon as you start purging, you can either use the cooker ignition or a designed rig, IV of over 0.02m3 is generally commercial, and not usual for domestic scenarios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to purging u6 meter, reading the volume passed through confusion in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock