Search the forum,

Discuss Pushfit - a near disaster! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

djboyd

Hi all

I have used copper pipe throughout my extension build - tails up through the floor were capped with push fit plastic as it was much easier than using compression stop ends. The rest of the radiators were fitted and 'made live'. I warned the joiners that the system was now filled - no problems. Carpet fitters turned up today and managed to 'dislodge' a push fit stop end - black water up newly decorated wall and floor + new carpet! They managed to stop it before too much damage was done - all ok now.

Should i have used compression stop ends, are push fit just temporary? Never was happy with plastic ..........

I think that push fit stop ends work best when under mains pressure - the rubber and the claw grip tighter the more pressure - so the low pressure in a heating system might mean the fitting is not as tight - this is my theory so the others on here do please correct me if I am wrong.

centralheatking

did you use collets on the push fits, assuming they were speedfit? as they are the only ones ive come across likely to pull off. If you dont ensure they are on in the first place they can leak. Dont forget most pushfit should be pressurised to 10bar to ensure the grip rings grab properly iaw manufacturers guidelines!!! Only cap I had fail was when testing a system and i pumped it upto 20bar as the pressure gauge jammed, then it shot up to 20 bar, the cap failed, blew off and hit the missus up the ar***, followed shortly thereafter by some quantity of water. I had to finish off the decorating on my own as I understand now I shouldnt have laughed like a drain!!!!!! when she yelped

I decided to test one to destruction once with my test pump. It fell to bits at about 20 bar.

If you are quick enough and don't allow it to dry, you can usually shampoo the black from carpets quite successfully. I have a carpet shampooer as part of my standard kit when attending to bursts and leaks. Makes the customer happy and means I can charge for the cleanup as well as the job!

Last edited:
oldplumber, I didn't use collets - just pushed them on firmly. Glad it wasn't me that pulled it off. I agree that mains pressure would probably be better, less easily nudged off. Anyway, rads on now and no stains on the carpet - wall might need a new coat of paint!

Thanks for replies

Nothing wrong with pushfit stopcaps - like the guys say if the water pressure increases, the inner teeth grip more, making it a right git to remove!

They will come off fairly easily on an unpressurised pipe, but then what kind of numpty messes around with plumbing fittings?
Did he jab a screwdriver in an electrical socket for good measure???

I hope the joiner in question made good any damage.

pushfit is fine in pricable but if you got carpet fitters coming or someone who doesnt relise then your risking a flood i only use it were i have no choice and even then i use compression fitting on it and polypipe white barrier, i use the stop ends as above people have said but i dont if i no other people are going in the room as i have said on here when i worked in the merchants i seen it coming back damaged or leaking and anything rubber ie seal ,going hot and cold all the time will leak

Dont forget most pushfit should be pressurised to 10bar to ensure the grip rings grab properly iaw manufacturers guidelines!!!

10bar? Then why do they say fine for usage on CH systems when even combi's will usually only be at 1.5?

Only cap I had fail was when testing a system and i pumped it upto 20bar as the pressure gauge jammed, then it shot up to 20 bar, the cap failed, blew off and hit the missus up the ar***, followed shortly thereafter by some quantity of water. I had to finish off the decorating on my own as I understand now I shouldnt have laughed like a drain!!!!!! when she yelped

Almost laughed out loud reading this on the train! Thanks for making my commute more bearable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pushfit - a near disaster! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock