Search the forum,

Discuss Question about multiple bottle traps in series - not commercial use in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I have a question about the implications of running multiple bottle traps in series - say for example 6 bottle traps between a sink and drain, what would I need to do to make this work (will be used on an isolated system for experimentation)

I understand that without venting in between the traps there may be a risk of negative pressure siphoning the seal from the traps closer to the sink but is there anything else I may be missing to make this work?
My initial guess is that they also will need to be on an incline so trap 1 is above trap 2, which is above trap 3 etc for them to properly drain.

I must stress this is not for use commercially - it will be used for workshop testing on a bench - so code violations are not relevant.

Hopefully not too wacky'a question to be answered!

It’s easy just buy bottle taps with air admit valve on the top that will,stop them sucking out they cost same lolly

Why?
What's it for?
I am trying to monitor water quality (temperature, conductivity, flow) with a view to determining if a hand wash is good or not (in a medical setting for hand hygiene).
This would allow for 6 sample points from 1 wash (obviously readings from trap 1 to 6 will differ from dilution and residual soap/water) and also show how the readings/sensitivity degrade over time.

110mm Stub stack with a air admittance valve is the normal way with 50mm main drain run teed into for each drain point . Kop

Ok I get it now, this is to be a specific lab controlled installation. And all the outflows must be separate and not contaminated by each other and also you will need individual sample points again not potentially contaminated by each other ...it’s not really hard to achieve this we have done lab installation work before and I understand the criteria ...we did medi gas and hydrogen in carefully controlled areas I can and will design the set up but I think it’s a bit unfair that you get the ukpf collective wisdom for free for what is not a domestic problem. I am happy to design it for you if you give the design fee to charity. And all!the others on here can help you and decide which charity Dan the man can send it to

Ok I get it now, this is to be a specific lab controlled installation. And all the outflows must be separate and not contaminated by each other and also you will need individual sample points again not potentially contaminated by each other ...it’s not really hard to achieve this we have done lab installation work before and I understand the criteria ...we did medi gas and hydrogen in carefully controlled areas I can and will design the set up but I think it’s a bit unfair that you get the ukpf collective wisdom for free for what is not a domestic problem. I am happy to design it for you if you give the design fee to charity. And all!the others on here can help you and decide which charity Dan the man can send it to

Thanks for the reply, the main reason I was asking was purely to understand what problems could arise from such a configuration but i don't want the system designing by anybody.

I would pay a local plumber to do that, I just wanted to know beforehand what sort of problems, if any, i could run into so that I am prepared.

Also to clarify, what i was wanting was the bottle traps, in series after one sink unit, so one sinks drain going through six sequential bottle traps one after the other after the other.

Thanks for trying to help anyway!
Sam.

By giving you the expertise though you contradict yourself it’s already designed

I would like some clarification.

Do you want to run from the first bottle trap into all the bottle traps, so the the waste water from bottle trap 1 runs through all the bottle traps to trap 6.

Do you want to run each preceding trap into the upstream of the water seal, or do you want to run each trap into downstream of the following water seals.

If you want to do the first option, the last couple of traps would not be able to cope with the water flow when all basins are in operation, if you are proposing the second option then it's just general plumbing and pipe sizing and ventilation requirements would be as per the standards

Reply to Question about multiple bottle traps in series - not commercial use in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock