Search the forum,

Discuss question on direct or in direct systems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

garykelly123

hi all im still at college and just wondering about the above.
how do people tell when going to a job weather its a direct or indirect system that they are going to be working on.
i understand 110 litre cwst for direct system yet 220 for the indirect. but do you really need to get up there to check the size to find out or is there other ways of knowing?
have been told that you can go upstairs and put the bath on full flow and put your thumb over it, and if its mains it will spray out yet if on indirect it will stop is this true?? just wondering how other plumbers out the tell?
also what if an indirect system yet someone has had a extension built and done this with mains pressure.is this possible if so then two systems in one house how do people tell or know as maybe the customer would not know or inform you this themselfs.
and help would be greatfull

basically indirect cylinders have coils in to heat the water, direct doesn't. size doesn't really come into it. direct can also be low pressure like indirect. hope this helps.

so how would you know steve if that cylinder had a coil inside or not,and to the last post what if it is cold water, would you just check all taps or what??

if it had a coil you would see two pipes connected to the side you wouldn't have these with a direct cylinder. direct and indirect only apply to hot water. the cold water will be either tank fed or mains.

sometimes direct will have two pipes into the sides, usually from old back boiler but they are usually close together, indirect has two storage tanks, one for dhw and one for heating system.
steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to question on direct or in direct systems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hello, I am fitting new taps and a shower mixer in my en-suite and was looking to isolate the hot water pipes. I have an unvented indirect heating system (have attached some photos). I was wondering if the isolation valve that would shut off the water to the hot water taps is as circled in the...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank. I'm on well water and have a water softener and two whole house filters for my water. Three days ago I found my high pressure relief valve tripped...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the problem as being that the hot water element in the immersion tank needed replacing. (I don't know exactly what it is called as the company has still...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have two indirect water cylinders (Gledhill) connected to a gas boiler (Vaillant). The system is setup/programmed so that the tanks heat up twice a day for about 2 hours. When the tanks start to heat, one of them makes a loud vibrating noise, sometimes for about 15-20 mins, sometimes for...
Replies
Views
A
Previously had a WB Greenstar R28 HE System boiler with 4 pipes and vented (gravity fed) cylinder. No valves or pumps outside of the boiler. Worked fine for 20 years. Decided to change to Viessmann 050-W System boiler when WB failed but keep the same set up with cylinder. Gas Safe installer I...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock