Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator/ heating help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! Hoping someone might be able to give me so pointers.

I have an Ideal Classic FF350 boiler with Drayton thermostat and a Megaflo tank, 10 radiators throughout house. System works pretty much perfectly apart from one radiator. Itbis the biggest in house and on ground floor. It is cold at bottom, warmish at top. I have take it off and flushed though, put back on and same problem, maybe a bit warmer. I have just turned all rads off apart from problem rad and it has got much warmer. When i crank boiler to highest it is even warmer( but only to same level as all other rads on lowest temp)

I have read a lot of forums but i am totally out of ideas

Cheers

Sounds like the system needs balancing. Some where on the forum there is a thread for how to balance a system.

It has for a couple of years but we have put up with it. The smae radiator has been flushed previously, when i did it today nothing came out really. One thing i have noticed is that one pipe is warm the other stone cold ?

I would whip the rad off and check your getting good flow from both rad valves

Thanks Shaun

Thats a pic of the cold pipe valvenot sure if anything looks untoward

5F1EA603-2498-495B-BB7A-0D0C7BD97E2F.jpeg

That's closed I take it ?

Don't open it without a hose pipe connected

Hi,

Your supply pipe looks about 8mm, maybe 10mm diameter.

You might find that it is carrying as much heat through as possible to the rad which might have a higher heat displacement capacity than the pipe can carry for the water flow.

Depending on age of rad & how clean the system is it might pay to change rad to a lower water capacity & more efficient variant & also fit a magnetic filter to your system to take some of the crud out of it.

As mentioned above balancing the system will also help with even heat distribution in the system,

Thanks,

Andy

Andy, surely if the OP fits a lower water content radiator with the same heat output, and the pipe bore is restrictive, then the only advantage is that the radiator will warm up more quickly, but the flow will still be insufficient? So:
You might find that it is carrying as much heat through as possible to the rad which might have a higher heat displacement capacity than the pipe can carry for the water flow.
would still be the case?

Hi! Hoping someone might be able to give me so pointers.

I have an Ideal Classic FF350 boiler with Drayton thermostat and a Megaflo tank, 10 radiators throughout house. System works pretty much perfectly apart from one radiator. Itbis the biggest in house and on ground floor. It is cold at bottom, warmish at top. I have take it off and flushed though, put back on and same problem, maybe a bit warmer. I have just turned all rads off apart from problem rad and it has got much warmer. When i crank boiler to highest it is even warmer( but only to same level as all other rads on lowest temp)

I have read a lot of forums but i am totally out of ideas

Cheers
Do you have TRVs? If so you could try throttling down some or all of the rads other than the problem. Need to take off the thermostatic head to access the adjustment. Gives better control than throttling on iso valves, but could try that if you don't have TRVs.

Hi Fixitflav, what you say is true, and I agree that balancing on TRVs is better than using lockshields, but I think it's worth mentioning that most TRVs do not have an integral balance device and, if so, balancing on lockshields is the only option.
But I would agree that the first step is to get that system as balanced as possible before taking further measures.

Hi Fixitflav, what you say is true, and I agree that balancing on TRVs is better than using lockshields, but I think it's worth mentioning that most TRVs do not have an integral balance device and, if so, balancing on lockshields is the only option.
But I would agree that the first step is to get that system as balanced as possible before taking further measures.
My TRVs are Honeywell, and there's a plastic adjustment thingy with a screwdriver slot offset from the operating stem. I assumed all TRVs have it but clearly not if yours don't. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator/ heating help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
O
Hi All, We renovated our house in 2019 and put in completely new plumbing system and piping including new boiler and 9 radiators. Off those, there is one radiator in the living room which does not heat up at all. I have tried balancing myself and also had a professional come in to balance it...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
When I turn on our CH there's a lot of noise from one specific part of the system - the pipes on the landing, and one radiator. It sounds like air, and the landing radiator needs bleeding regularly (about once a month), even though it isn't the highest point in the system. The two upright rads...
Replies
Views
Evening all. I have an open vented C/H system with a heat only boiler and 10 rads over 3 floors. I checked the system mid summer and all was ok. Now one radiator won’t get hot. ALL rads contain water, I have bled all rads. No hot water getting to flow pipe of cold rad. All other rads are...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock