Discuss Radiator Valve Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I have gone from District Heating to Gas heating but I am having an issue with the radiator in my bathroom. All the other radiators have a thermostat on them but the one in the bathroom doesn't so I have no idea how to fully turn it off and I don't want to mess anything up! (only installed today) image1.JPGimage1.JPGimage1.JPG

Why do you want to turn it off?
Have you got one on the radiator in the same room as the thermostat?

Why do you want to turn it off?
Have you got one on the radiator in the same room as the thermostat?

It's just a waste of gas really but I may have confused you or confused myself, all the other radiators have the valves with the numbers on them, only the radiator in the bathroom which is pretty much next to the boiler on has those valves on them.

Have you got a room thermostat? on the wall or free standing

Its normal to leave one radiator without a thermostatic radiator valve, usually the one in the same room as the thermostat.
If you are having a wireless stat I would use the bathroom rad

Its normal to leave one radiator without a thermostatic radiator valve, usually the one in the same room as the thermostat.
If you are having a wireless stat I would use the bathroom rad

Does that mean I have to wait until Monday before I can fully turn the rad off?

What's the reason your needing to turn the rad off ?

It's just pointless being on, a waste of gas, I only want my living room, bedroom and kitchen ones on (which I can control on the rads)

It won't waste that much gas, you will waste more by not having a room stat over the weekend

It may be a temporary measure so the the system can be used over the weekend until the installation is finished on Monday. Broadly-speaking, to comply with current building regulations you need to have an 'automatic bypass valve' fitted to the system and all radiators, except in a room controlled by a wall thermostat, need to have TRVs fitted.

Oh no! The OP reminds me of me.

In fairness, I'm going to have to agree with the others: leave it for now. If you explain to the installer what you want to heat and that you want to be able to control the bathroom manually, I'm sure s/he will be able to accommodate your personal preferences and, if that is the bypass radiator, another radiator could possibly become the bypass radiator instead. It may be that one of those valves on the radiator is a manual valve you can use to shut it down, but best check as sometimes things are left a bit weirdly when a system is under construction.

If you're worried about wasting gas, here's the plan for the weekend: turn the rads on in the rooms you want to heat (to max or 5), and turn the heating off when these rooms are all hot enough. The room that heats up last you leave on 5, the other rooms you turn down to whatever setting keeps them the desired temperature while you control the room that is set to 5 by turning the heating on and off.

The above means the bathroom radiator only comes on when the heating is actually switched on, which will save something, and you'll be doing the job of a room thermostat. Stupid, but if it's stupid and it works, then it isn't stupid.

If that bathroom rad is a 1kW radiator, it's probably only costing you 5p an hour anyway (for the bathroom rad), so even if it stays on constant all weekend, it's less than the cost of a Sunday newspaper. Environmentally, it's the same CO2 as driving 38 miles, and if money is tight it's tight, so I do see where you are coming from.

If it makes you feel any better, 38 miles is almost exactly the mileage I saved earlier this evening by catching the train instead of driving.

I'm confused, I will just have to wait until Monday :D
By looking at that photo in the Origional Post and the pride the installer has taken in his pipework I bet he says as I in my last post and others that one rad in the whole system cannot have a TRV on. Standard system design so that the heat can dissipate correctly.

Oh no! The OP reminds me of me.

In fairness, I'm going to have to agree with the others: leave it for now. If you explain to the installer what you want to heat and that you want to be able to control the bathroom manually, I'm sure s/he will be able to accommodate your personal preferences and, if that is the bypass radiator, another radiator could possibly become the bypass radiator instead. It may be that one of those valves on the radiator is a manual valve you can use to shut it down, but best check as sometimes things are left a bit weirdly when a system is under construction.

If you're worried about wasting gas, here's the plan for the weekend: turn the rads on in the rooms you want to heat (to max or 5), and turn the heating off when these rooms are all hot enough. The room that heats up last you leave on 5, the other rooms you turn down to whatever setting keeps them the desired temperature while you control the room that is set to 5 by turning the heating on and off.

The above means the bathroom radiator only comes on when the heating is actually switched on, which will save something, and you'll be doing the job of a room thermostat. Stupid, but if it's stupid and it works, then it isn't stupid.

If that bathroom rad is a 1kW radiator, it's probably only costing you 5p an hour anyway (for the bathroom rad), so even if it stays on constant all weekend, it's less than the cost of a Sunday newspaper. Environmentally, it's the same CO2 as driving 38 miles, and if money is tight it's tight, so I do see where you are coming from.

If it makes you feel any better, 38 miles is almost exactly the mileage I saved earlier this evening by catching the train instead of driving.
I may be a little off track here but something tells me, that even if the rad is changed to the hall or landing rad. The OP will still want it turned off as it is on all the time. (But I could be wrong)

I may be a little off track here but something tells me, that even if the rad is changed to the hall or landing rad. The OP will still want it turned off as it is on all the time. (But I could be wrong)
Possibly, but if he has his stat in one of the rooms that he actually wants to heat (rather than a corridor), then he can have the radiator in that room fully on? I know this may then mean that other rooms may fail to reach design temperature, but the OP may accept this trade-off.

The water is set to 55 and the radiators are set to 80 on the boiler screen, surely 80 is too hot? I can change it, lowest it will go is 30.

This is the first time I have ever had gas, had district heating before.

Normally 60-65 for rads

I hate looking stupid but I have no idea?

Best ask your installer / is it on the bill

If you have needs to be on max

If you don't you can set it to what ever temp you want eg 60-65

I'm struggling to understand why the water isn't get as hot as it should, it's set to 60 yet its lukewarm. It starts off coming out really hot and then get's cooler.

?? Hot water

Open the tap half way not fully open does it stay hot ?

i would say boiler too small or a problem i would ask your installers defo not right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator Valve Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back