Search the forum,

Discuss Radiators go cold after two hours - but come back on after running hot water! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jill

Hi, I'm hoping for some advice to point our landlord in the right direction for getting us a heating fix.
In the past month, our rads have started to go stone cold two hours after they come in.
The cylinder stays really hot, and the boiler is still on, but it's like the rads are switching themselves off.
It's all of them, not just on one floor or room.
The only way to make them warm again is to run the hot water tank down (Shower is best, but sometimes we leave hot tap on for 5 or 10 minutes works)
So we're wasting both water and heated water!
We've tried turning them off and on at wall thermostat, boiler control knob and the radiators themselves, but no luck.
It's an old boiler (gas check person says it's a "workhorse") but still running fine (can get make and model if it helps solution)

Any advice on what it might be?
I think there's a valve problem as when we turn the hot water on in summer (an hour before we want a shower) it also heats the rads, but not sure if this is related to the rads going cold in winter...

Our landlord is rubbish at getting things fixed, although this is the first proper heating problem we've had in 7 years of renting the house. He's with British Gas boiler care... would this be covered by them?
Would be grateful for any advice.

sounds like a 3 port valve problem easy fix for a decent plumber

Thanks so much for a quick response! That's already put my mind at rest.
If I can tell my landlord it's a simple fix, that may speed him calling someone out!

If you have two motorised valves swap the heads over. Possibly wired wrong or mixed up somehow

Has some others have pointed out could be a simple fix ! control fault but could cost upwards of ÂŁ200 to sort out

Thanks everyone - just trying to find the "thanks" button on here so I can give the kudos deserved :D

Left hand end of the orange bar below each post...

Oddly not showing up on mine. Maybe because this is a new account? I'll check back tomorrow - but in the meanwhile, thank you EVERYONE!

Boom! and now it works - maybe I needed a minimum number of posts? All good now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiators go cold after two hours - but come back on after running hot water! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock