Search the forum,

Discuss Rads coming on when hot water is on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
ive just changed the 2 port on the heating side as I thought it was letting by as all rads started to get hot when only water on demand.

Fired up boiler on demand for water once changed 2 port, flow pipe to rads underneath 2 port stone cold but rads still warming up at a slow rate.

Checked bypass and it's fine. I put 10 replacement rads a couple months ago and when heating on demand all heat up nicely.

Heat only boiler, unvented cylinder.

**update**
I've just noticed it's the return pipes from rads heating up when hot water is on

Any suggestions? Blockage somewhere?

Last edited:
Is the pipework following the three tee rule?
Not sure as return paths are concealed. "Apparently" this only started happening when I changed the rads! Pffft

I wonder if the old rads had unidirectional TRV's (if they had TRV's) which prevented this reverse circulation? Now you have new rads in with bi-directional valves the problem has been able to show itself?

I wonder if the old rads had unidirectional TRV's (if they had TRV's) which prevented this reverse circulation? Now you have new rads in with bi-directional valves the problem has been able to show itself?
Good point!! I'm gonna try pop back today so I'll see if I can get a butchers at the return path and order of the heating, water and bypass.

Good point!! I'm gonna try pop back today so I'll see if I can get a butchers at the return path and order of the heating, water and bypass.
So the order after the pump is:
DHW, Heating, Bypass
Should be:
Bypass, DHW, Heating. Same order on return. But return pipework is concealed.
That right?

Yes, KingDoey has it right. The original installer didn't follow the 3 tee rule. DHW last connection before boiler. This diagram shows you what happens when you tee in the DHW return before the Heating circuit. I reckon that's what you've got going on and it has only shown as a problem with your new bi-directional TRV's.
http://www.hertsboilers.co.uk/tech/backflow.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rads coming on when hot water is on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

When I put the central heating on the hot water gets drawn through the pump but is then being diverted straight back to the boiler instead of the rads What is this, and how likely is it that it is faulty? That sits in between the hot water to the rads and hot water to the hot water tank...
Replies
Views
So a strange conundrum regarding water temp if anyone can help resolve, would be much appreciated. Ive tried to give as much info as possible to give a full picture but let me know if ive missed anything. I have a Baxi Avanta 25h heat only boiler. Works fine. Unvented 300ltr megaflow. Stated...
Replies
Views
G
I've just bought a 3-floor house with a gas boiler on the ground floor and hot water tank on the middle floor. When I switch on the hot water at the timer panel, it works but it also heats up all the radiators above ground floor. I have to close them individually to stop this. The rads aren't...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the outputs goes to a 2 port diverter prior to the Megaflo (I believe this is some safety feature). I have run into an intermittent problem where some...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock