Search the forum,

Discuss rads still not heating, help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

curly

ok, quick recap 1, 3 storey house 2, all rads on top floor and 2nd floor heating ok 3, 5 rads on ground with one new rad added today, bled all rads, 4, put heating on manual kitchen rad and dinning room rad roasting hot but the 2 in the hall way and the 2 in the living room stone cold 5, opened bled screw on each cold rad until hot water came through, started in hallway and worked my way away from the bolier.6, put heating back on t/clock rads had cooled down but when the heating came back on the same thing happened the 2 in the hall and the 2 in the living stayed cold ,

please help as i am a spark and im trying to help a family member and i hope there is enough info to work out roughly what the problem is

Turn on the heating let it run for 20mins, turn off all the rads that are working + 1 of the rads that isnt, all the boilers pumping force will be directed at the one rad thats now been left open, then do the same thing with the other rad thats not working.
This will force out the air lock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn on the heating let it run for 20mins, turn off all the rads that are working + 1 of the rads that isnt, all the boilers pumping force will be directed at the one rad thats now been left open, then do the same thing with the other rad thats not working.
This will force out the air lock.

Totaly agree, sounds like an air lock

just to check that i have this correct, i understand what to do but do i have to open the bled screw on the rad im working on to release the air or will the air lock be forced out back at the boiler, then just repeat for each non-working rad, closing each rad after the air is removed from it

The air could go either way depending which pipe it's in, once everything is toasty then go round all rads and vent. You don't mention what boiler you have, if it's a combi or system boiler i.e. a sealed system then you'll have to top up with the filling loop, do this when the system is cold, if it's a traditional system i.e. open vent then it'll top itself up

yes do each rad in turn until the air is out, not forgetting to bleed the pump also and the air vent in the airing cupboard.

A radiator won't heat unless it has water in it. If you have a combi boiler, fill the system to about 1.5 bar then bleed a radiator (lowest/closest to boiler first). Top up boiler then bleed another radiator. If you have a system boiler with a feed and expansion cistern in the loft then just bleed as the cistern (assuming it's working properly) will Feed the radiators as you bleed them.

Steveb - I keep forgetting that bit and am often scratching my head wondering why the flamin' system won't warm up when there's a hot boiler!! Fortunately, it's only happened once or twice to me.

well the family member is a bit tight with money unless he's spending it on himself lol, i said get a plumber but the answer was " we can sort it " and as you can see its not going well,

thanks everyone who replied

blackcatgas did what you advised, everything great all the ground floor rads roasting when the other 2 floors are turned off but when we started to add a rad at a time on the 2nd floor the ground floor rads started to get colder until they just luke warm and the top floor were still turned off ( could it be the pump and i think its a combi system as there is a small red tank right beside the boiler with a pressure gauge with a mark at 1.5 bar for the max )

When upstairs rads are hot and downstairs are cooler it's a classic failed pump syndrone (speling?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to rads still not heating, help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock