Search the forum,

Discuss Rayburn Indirect Hot Water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

doitmyself88

Hi there im thinking of installing an indriect hot water system heated by a Raburn with about three or four rads. Ive spent hours looking at diagrams but i cant understand one thing. A pump is needed to pump the hot water around the rads so that they heat up, i get that, simple. But a pump is NOT needed to pump the hot water around the coil in the cylinder? Is this true? And if so how do both returns join? Would the pumped circuit not stop the other circuit from returning? Ive heard of injector tee's, is this what they are used for? Gravitational is a word that is used a lot in this field. But how can water flow up the pipe to the cylinder in the attic? Any information on this matter would be really helpful. Thank you if youve taken the time to read this, i hope i didnt b*****t too much!

get someone in who knows how to install it, someone put in similar system in my house before i moved in and it doesnt work very well.

Hot water is heated up by GRAVITY circulation and once the hot water is up to temperature the thermostat brings the pump on which circulates water around the rads

ok thanks for that. Weve got the system in the house already (the new system is for an outbuilding) and when we want the heating on we just switch the pump on manually, dont think we have a thermostat. I still dont understand what Gravity circulation is. How does this work? Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
as the water in your boiler is heated it becomes less dense and is forced upward by the more dense (i.e. heavier) cooler water, this then extends into your flow and return pipes. The flow pipe comes out of the top of the boiler and the return should go in at the bottom. As the cooler and heavier water in the return pipe is dragged downward by gravity, the warmer and less heavy flow water is forced upwards, to the cylinder where it dissipates its heat energy thus becoming cooler and so the cycle continues, this is gravity circulation.
The injector tee is to prevent the pump from stoppping or interfering with the gravity circulation.

Right i think that makes sense, thank you. So should the pipe with the hot water enter the cylinder at the top of the coil?

for gravity to work properly you need to connect the flow to the top of the coil and return to the bottom.
One question though, you've not mentioned the fuel that your Rayburn uses?

fuel for the rayburn will be a mixture of phurnacite and logs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rayburn Indirect Hot Water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock