Search the forum,

Discuss Re-hang rad after plastering on non-solid wall of unknown substabce in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
What do you say/quote?

Presuming you don't know the house and customer had no info.

Obviously there are clues in age of property.

You could strike a batton or could find lathe and plaster falling to pieces.

I would say, I will come over and refit the rad. It will take me a minimum of an hour, but may take more if there is any difficulty with fixings. Or if the pipework needs altering.

As above if unsure estimate for how long you think it will take and could take,

If your going to struggle to get a fixing, Hatton the wall between the two rad brackets,
Gripfill the baton to the wall and try to get a fixing somewhere

These are good bit of a fiddle the first time you use them. But they hold up to 180 kg.

Plumb centre code 581257 on special @ ÂŁ4.50 + vat

what do you guys do with lathe and plaster if you're don't hit a stud? how much weight can those horizontal slats take? (lathes i guess they're called)

I use these in lath & plaster walls all the time. If your lucky & hit a stud there is no need for them but if you use the longer ones they squash up nice behind laths & hold really well.
If the wall is really crappy I fit a piece of 12m ply to the wall the same size as the overall bracket footprint & secure it to the studs within that area.

Fischer HM-S Metal Cavity Fixing 5 x 52mm - Toolstation

Worst case I cut an offcut of grant westfield panel, whiteside out, long enough and tall enough to get the brackets. Screw into studs and fit brackets to that. Once rads on you cant see it.

What I have done in the past is cut a section of plasterboard out slide a bit of 1/2" ply up the back as big as possible fix that in place then plug the plasterboard back in and then fix to that. A bit of decorators caulk around the cut and your good to go.

It has worked on all the rads I've tried it on. I've never tried it on any massive rads but that's where you want to find the studs and fix onto that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Re-hang rad after plastering on non-solid wall of unknown substabce in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock