Search the forum,

Discuss Relocating Soil Pipe Venting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of redoing my bathroom.

I spent last weekend pulling down a stud wall that originally seperated the bathroom from the toilet. This now gives me a larger area to work from.

I planned out the new room on my pc taking into account the size of the new shower cubicle / steam room / bath type thing that I want (which I have since ordered). With all my measurements right I thought I had accounted for everything and had my new bathroom designed how I wanted.

Unfortunately I forgot to take into account the soil pipe which runs near enough between the original two rooms. This now prevents me from haivng my sink where I wanted it. With the new cubicle thingy ordered I have very few options. Ideally I want to move the soil pipe.

I was thinking of two options:

1) Take the soil pipe, just above where the WC meets it, and drill through the wall and take it outside and up the exterior wall to vent just above the roof.

2) Remove the soil pipe, fit an elbow and take it to the WC as normal, fit using a T piece, then take the soil pipe along to the side wall and up and back into the loft, where I'd have to reconnect back to the original exit in the roof. The problem being that at the side of the wall there is not enough room, (due to a window) for a full sized 110 pipe. I have read that the vented part of a soil pipe can be reduced, with a recommended 75 mm pipe. Ideally 68mm would be better to allow me to box it in.

Are these options feasible, daft or against building regulations?

I'll admit that I am not in any way a vastly experienced DIYer and have not messed with plumbing like this before, but I am keen to have a go and sort it.

If I do either of the two options do I need to inform building control or anything else?

I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks in advance,

Daz

u explained option no 1 in 2 lines .no 2 took u 4.need i say any more.
listen, not certain of what u are tryin to do.is the problem stack there to service an existing wc. and then venting above.do u have to move the toilet?could u use stack as is ,and box it?

A Durgo (4 inch Air Admittance Valve) might be of some use in this instance.

I am struggling to understand the problem you are explaining here. From your original post I think I have gathered the following:

1. You are relocating the toilet and therefore the existing soil pipe isnt of use to you?
2. There is a long run of soil pipe inside the property to service the existing toilet which needs removed to enable your new layout?

What I dont understand is why just venting is the issue? Is your soil stack internal (ie not on an exterior wall)?

Thanks for the replies.

buffy27

Re: Relocating Soil Pipe Venting
u explained option no 1 in 2 lines .no 2 took u 4.need i say any more.
listen, not certain of what u are tryin to do.is the problem stack there to service an existing wc. and then venting above.do u have to move the toilet?could u use stack as is ,and box it?
The length of time it took to explain the two options and indeed the time it takes to action each option is beside the point. I am asking if either are feasible options.

The problem stack does feed the WC and will feed the new WC in more or less the same position. I would like to create more space by moving the soil pipe that vents to the loft over to the side wall therefore allowing me to position my new basin where the soli pipe currently vents.

HTB

A Durgo (4 inch Air Admittance Valve) might be of some use in this instance.
An AAV cannot be fitted as this is the only open stack venting to the atmosphere. Even if it wasn't an AAV requires a height above the highest overflow which would be the basin so would still be in the way.

GPS164

I am struggling to understand the problem you are explaining here. From your original post I think I have gathered the following:

1. You are relocating the toilet and therefore the existing soil pipe isnt of use to you?
2. There is a long run of soil pipe inside the property to service the existing toilet which needs removed to enable your new layout?

What I dont understand is why just venting is the issue? Is your soil stack internal (ie not on an exterior wall)?
1. No the toilet will be in the same place, albeit moved an inch or so to the right. Exisitng soil pipes is needed for new toilet.

2. Yes. The soil pipe runs up the interior wall, from kitchen through to bathroom and carrys on venting up vertically through to the loft and out to the roof.

I have attached a few photos to try and help explain. Basically I just require more space and by moving the soil pipe over to the right up against the side wall enables me to relocate a basin on the wall where the soil pipe venting would be.

First photo attempts to show Option 1 and second photo Option 2. Excuse the crude drawing!

Thanks again for all your replies. I appreciate any comments.

Daz

Attachments

• Soil Pipe.jpg
    Soil Pipe.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Soil Pipe 2.jpg
    Soil Pipe 2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 44
Hi. PERFORMANCE CRITERIA.
In order to satisfy National and Local Regulations, a well designed and installed sanitary waste system will satisfy the following basic criteria:
1. Be of sufficient capacity, with appropriate pipe sizes and gradients, to convey foul water to a suitable drainage system for disposal.
2. Have minimal risk of blockage or leakage and be provided with access for inspection and cleaning.
3. Prevent foul air from entering the building under normal working conditions, through provision of water seal traps.
4. Be ventilated to maintain water seal integrity.
5. Be fixed securely to cope with structure and environmental conditions and changes.
2" pipe has been used for venting wc for 100 years give it a go. It aint a perfect world.Good luck

justlead1 Re: Relocating Soil Pipe Venting

2" pipe has been used for venting wc for 100 years give it a go. It aint a perfect world.Good luck

Has it? The building regs say that minimum venting should be 75mm. The closest pipe size to this is 82mm. I would ideally like to vent using 50mm (2") but this isn't allowed.

thank god we know what u are trying to do.the initial post was confusing.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
and yes, the amount of wording used to descibe a job would not determine the time allocated to complete it.i am only a plumber sry for my ignorance.it seemed to me the 1st of your two explainations seemed more do-able when i read it.your reply seemed a bit smart.:cool::cool:
take up some of the flooring to run the soil up out of floor beneath toilet.[less boxing]
with the t piece in the floor space .insert 90 single collar into top of it.go outside the building and up the wall.
maybe u could get it all into floor space and eliminate boxing altogether.[if the room is there]
alternatevly check outside for the soil pipe routes in the ground and run
new stack .this would eliminate all boxing.cap the other one with a durgo under the floor.[presuming it has nothing tied into it above the height] bare in mind the other reply regarding waste piping regs .

Last edited by a moderator:
buffy27 Re: Relocating Soil Pipe Venting
thank god we know what u are trying to do.the initial post was confusing.:confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused:
and yes, the amount of wording used to descibe a job would not determine the time allocated to complete it.i am only a plumber sry for my ignorance.it seemed to me the 1st of your two explainations seemed more do-able when i read it.your reply seemed a bit smart.:cool::cool:
take up some of the flooring to run the soil up out of floor beneath toilet.[less boxing]
with the t piece in the floor space .insert 90 single collar into top of it.go outside the building and up the wall.
maybe u could get it all into floor space and eliminate boxing altogether.[if the room is there]
alternatevly check outside for the soil pipe routes in the ground and run
new stack .this would eliminate all boxing.cap the other one with a durgo under the floor.[presuming it has nothing tied into it above the height] bare in mind the other reply regarding waste piping regs .
Thanks for your reply. I wasn't trying to be smart at all. Just simply pointing out that the length of time taken for either option had no bearing on the outcome I was looking for. Apologies if you took it the wrong way.

I don't understand the reference to moving the soil pipe at ground level. My problem is only with gaining the space occupied currently by the soil vent pipe. The dry part of the soil pipe above the wet waste level. Was this to suggest moving the entire soil pipe outside? If so, it's a big job that would probably outweigh the benefits I think.

I get what your saying about sinking the pipe further down into the floor to remove the need for further boxing. I like this idea and will have a look at the possibilities of this.

Thanks for your reply,

Daz

Hi. Daz what you are experiencing now is that which the average domestic plumber comes up against every week. In the show rooms were bathrooms are displayed and purchased, pipe is not an issue. When fitting codes of practice exist with regard to H/C water and soil & vent systems. Now sometimes this requires a lot of work and materials to alter the existing system to suit new bathroom and client requirements. My approach would be to form a stud work wall the entire width of the room were appliance are to be fitted say 8" deep and 3"-0" high. Run all services within the duct,and appliances to the face, thus concealing all pipework.If you dont want the soil pipe boxed in the bathroom bang a hole in the wall and run it up in the corner of bedroom and out through the roof using a lead slate. Good Luck

Its all a bit wordy but re your comment on "only stack venting to atmosphere" regs state that only 1 in 10 houses on the same "line" need to vent the sewer and the other 9 (or indeed 10 out of 11 depending on how you wish to read the regs) can all have AAV's (Durgos as often referred to). However, same as Buff, I am only a plumber, read the books, sat the exams, had the work assessed, served the time etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Relocating Soil Pipe Venting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I've not posted for a while, not a plumber, but a keen DIYer who likes to try and do things without bodging if I can. Basically I'm wanting to create a cloakroom toilet in our utility room, theres already hot and cold feed so thats one job made slightly easier, thankfully. The problem I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady upstairs had a plumber in July who relocated her washbasin shower and fitted a new radiator.He caused a bad leak and came to fix it in august and I thought...
Replies
Views
My builder has removed the soil vent pipe stating that an AAV would suffice. As I have had some troubles with them I have started to question what they say so I have done a bit of digging. From the internet I don't seem to find a clear answer about this. Could you please clarify this for me? Do...
Replies
Views
As part of a slow DIY bathroom refit I've removed the old toilet from the original location next to the soil pipe (and obviously capped off the branch) and plan to place it the opposite end of the room. I was pretty lucky to find a 110mm sewer waste pipe below the old sink which is the new...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock