Search the forum,

Discuss Remote Pressure Relief Valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Masey

Gas Engineer
Has anybody fitted one of these in the past? Im just curious on how they work. Normally used when prv p discharge pipe cannot take a easy downward fall outside from the boiler. Does this just tee into the heating circuit at a more convenient place? Do you need access to it? i.e it cannot be under the floor?

You link the prv pipe into the heating then fit the remote valve with no valves in between. I think I have a technical email from ideal.
I can forward it if you pm me your email address

remember to label the boiler where it could have gone as to where it actually is, and it must be accessable, how would u feel trying to replace a hidden one?

You link the prv pipe into the heating then fit the remote valve with no valves in between. I think I have a technical email from ideal.

Link back in?? Why not remove valve and blank off ?

Because you would need to remove the valves on the boiler

The built in prv will discharge into the heating pipe work. The pressure will then increase enough to set off the remote prv.

If you blank off the built in prv the boiler isolation valves could be closed creating a potential problem.

Last edited:
Because you would need to remove the valves on the boiler

The built in prv will discharge into the heating pipe work. The pressure will then increase enough to set off the remote prv.

If you blank off the built in prv the boiler isolation valves could be closed creating a potential problem.

Scott,

I don't understand this, isn't the pressure the same in the boiler as it is in the system all the time, the PRV won't blow beacasue it is not discharging
to atmosphere or have I misunderstood. Not certain there is a law that says it should always be next to the heat source but that is where I would always put
it unless it is impossible, if the flue can go through the wall why can't the PRV pipe do the same, "Confused"

Tony

PS it's my age, I need a sketch, photo or drawing these days

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the vaillant remote prv is set at 2 bar, isn't this less than the built in prv on the boiler which is around 3bar??

The prv is a safety device covering the boiler. Imagine the expansion vessel was dead and the boiler valves were shut and due to a fault the boiler kept heating then boiling the water. The pressure would quickly rise and with no prv something would have to give, probably the water would just leak out but worst case the boiler would explode.

The prv doesn't need to be next to the heat source but it shouldn't have a valve between it and the heat source. The built in prv linked into the heating pipe work will bypass the boiler valves.

I would be happy to send on the info I have if your send me your email address.

The Vaillant kit is probably set lower as the remote prv is ment to go at a high point(loft etc) and if the boiler was on the ground floor or in the basement the pressure difference could be the 1bar

Yea that's clearer. Ie both the 2 port valves are closed but the boiler keeps heating (for some reason) and the remote PRV is after the 2 ports.

because you would need to remove the valves on the boiler

the built in prv will discharge into the heating pipe work. The pressure will then increase enough to set off the remote prv.

kaboom!

Having an argument at work at the moment with a subby who's taken the prv up from the boiler in an airing cupboard and out of the gable end of the loft space.

Having an argument at work at the moment with a subby who's taken the prv up from the boiler in an airing cupboard and out of the gable end of the loft space.

What u arguing about? Who's van is better? ....... Defective work, off site!

I would make him take it out too, no need for that, if it froze up where would you be, if it ever blew off or was tested it would be full of water 24 x 7, he's a lazy sod, he would be down the road, get a new subby who understands or fit a bigger pump, that appears to be a cure all! :mad2: he doesn't give a toss how much pipe he uses, you are paying for it.

Yeah I know the problems with it. But.. He'd lagged it in the loft and put a drain off at the lowest point so that the pipe could be worked on. I mean it had to be repiped because it doesn't meet the contract standards but is there a reg against this because he's certain that there's nothing preventing this being done.

Yeah I know the problems with it. But.. He'd lagged it in the loft and put a drain off at the lowest point so that the pipe could be worked on. I mean it had to be repiped because it doesn't meet the contract standards but is there a reg against this because he's certain that there's nothing preventing this being done.

App, if he will do something like this when you are there what will he do when your not, let him take a walk and go back to school.If its an existing house, drill a hole between the joist on outside wall push the 15mm pipe through the hole until its under the CC and take a board up,

no regs really needed, manufacturers instructions should cover it. Ask him if he can prove the manufacturer allows it? you could point towards part g/ unvented discharge regulations if you wanted to, as a guide.

no regs really needed, manufacturers instructions should cover it. Ask him if he can prove the manufacturer allows it? you could point towards part g/ unvented discharge regulations if you wanted to, as a guide.

AW, what about pointing him to the job centre

Depends what else he's done if he won't fix it like the boss wants.

He's a subby after all - who's in charge?:2guns:

If it's not up to your standards, then it doesn't matter who's right or wrong , so long as they way you want it done is within regs, then you are right.

Me too, appears some will accept anything, that's why there are still plumbers from hell, do what you want attitude

Its not been accepted as it doesn't meet the contracts requirements. BUT what is the real issue with it? The valve isn't there as a drain valve it's there to release pressure. This would still be done if it travels up and out wont it? I'm not saying you're wrong I'm just asking if it actually poses a safety risk?

If it froze in the roof space, what would you think then, I would have thought you need to design out any risk, sod what's the easiest way to do it. I agree with Dan it should self drain, if there is water lodge in it and it is likely to freeze up its a time bomb or am I totally wrong, nay not the job centre, off with his head!!!

Baxi did one a few yrs back, can't remember combi model but is piped in as Scott d has said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Remote Pressure Relief Valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, all. I have a leak problem behind the washing machine. It's a pipe that is leaking directly into a drain. It used to drip but now is leaking a steady stream without stopping. Seems to be coming from water heater but I cannot tell. It is cold water. When I turn off the main water supply, it...
Replies
Views
Pritesh Patel
P
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi all not a plumber but am an engineer I have pressure drop in the system Worcester Bosch came back after repressureising the expansion vessel and he replaced the heat exchanger element. The boiler is coming up for 15 years old. The boiler was going below one bar and not increasing when...
Replies
Views
I have an 8 year old Potterton HE Gold combi boiler losing pressure. I have isolated the central heating to leave just water heating and it is fine. As soon as the central heating is introduced the pressure drops to zero within an hour. I have had floor boards etc up but cannot find a leak...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock