Search the forum,

Discuss Remove TRV from hallway radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSG

Hi all,

I am in the process of replacing my 15 year old Potterton boiler for a Valiant.

My hallway has a radiator with a TRV and there is no thermostat. All the 12 radiators have TRVs on them. This is how the setup was when I bought the property 6 years ago.

The gas engineer who came to provide a quote said that we need to fit a thermostat in the hallway and hence we need to get rid of the TRV from the hallway radiator. That way, the temperature in the hallway will control when the boiler comes on.

Being a novice in this area, I am inclined to think that the boiler will only operate as long as it has to, to satisfy the demands from the individual radiators, and switch off otherwise. Even at present, the boiler is not running all the time.

Could somebody kindly explain the purpose of the thermostat and why we need to remove the TRV from the hallway radiator.

Thanks in advance.

its building regs and will turn the boiler off when the hall way / house is upto temp, the room thermostat normally goes in the coldest place

and the trv will interfear with the room stat, say the trv is on 2 and the room stat is on 24 the room stat wont get upto temp as the trv will shut down first

Just unscrew the TRV head so it isn't engaged.

Hang on, why has he asked you to do it? It's a three quid part and 10 minutes work and something any engineer can do as part of the installation while the system is drained down.

Just unscrew the TRV head so it isn't engaged.

Hang on, why has he asked you to do it? It's a three quid part and 10 minutes work and something any engineer can do as part of the installation while the system is drained down.
Think the OP was using the word WE loosely

Hang on, why has he asked you to do it? It's a three quid part and 10 minutes work.
A lockshield valve is a £3 part, but the new programmer/thermostat+installation will be significantly more than that. More like £75 – £150 probably.

I understand the mechanics now. I just wanted to ensure what the engineer suggested was appropriate.

Yes, "they" will remove/disengage the TRV.

And they have quoted for the thermostat (and Nest) separately.

Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Remove TRV from hallway radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock