Search the forum,

Discuss Removing Back boilers and Replacing DFE's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Got two jobs I'm going to look at.

1. System conversion from back boiler to combi. Don't know much about back boilers. How are they removed? Once the fire is removed, do I have to start knocking down the wall to get access? How about draining it? Any special considerations I need to be aware of?

2. New DFE to replace existing. Not fitted one before. Not seen it yet so might be an ilfe for all I know. How hard are these to fit?

Any help is appreciated :)

Think of heat only boiler heat exchanger and maybe a burner behind a fire (depends if it was a coal fire)

Not normally and other than ab rope nothing

Needs to be drained totally if it's an open fire (coal / wood) and drilled

If it's like a baxi back boiler then needs to be removed

Think of heat only boiler heat exchanger and maybe a burner behind a fire (depends if it was a coal fire)

Not normally and other than ab rope nothing

Needs to be drained totally if it's an open fire (coal / wood) and drilled

If it's like a baxi back boiler then needs to be removed

Once I take the fire out, will it look obvious what I need to do to get it out?
Ab rope?
Drill it to drain it fully? Might have to scour google for some pictures I think

Yes

1st pic needs drilling or removing

2nd needs removing

IMG_2769.JPG

IMG_2770.JPG

First pic - you mean drilling it off the wall? Is that how it's attached? So that's a heat exchanger / coal fire bb?

Second pic looks fine, pipes to the left, drain and remove. So the fire sits above the controls isn't it?

No actually drill the heat exchanger if your leaving it in and yes from a solid fuel fire open

And yes normally fire controls are on the fire like a baxi bum and back boiler controls /wiring below

No actually drill the heat exchanger if your leaving it in and yes from a solid fuel fire open

And yes normally fire controls are on the fire like a baxi bum and back boiler controls /wiring below
Why drill the hex? A few random holes?

Why drill the hex? A few random holes?

else if the solid fuel fire is used / a heat exchanger like in the first pic you have a bomb if the pipes are capped / hot water spraying everywhere

else if the solid fuel fire is used / a heat exchanger like in the first pic you have a bomb if the pipes are capped / hot water spraying everywhere
Ohhhh - sorry yeah in my head they're not putting the fire back. If I had brains Shaun!!! Lol
Cheers mate

Ohhhh - sorry yeah in my head they're not putting the fire back. If I had brains Shaun!!! Lol
Cheers mate

:D np most of the back boilers you will see are like in the second pic

Heres one i stripped out for a pensioner last year keep your wet vac handy not hard to work out how to take it out cheers kop.

Screenshot_2017-06-27-22-30-17.png

Screenshot_2017-06-27-22-33-44.png

Screenshot_2017-06-27-22-30-37.png

Screenshot_2017-06-27-22-30-44.png

Screenshot_2017-06-27-22-30-58.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Removing Back boilers and Replacing DFE's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock