Search the forum,

Discuss Removing Tap cover in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace the washer in a tap, however it is difficult to remove the cover. It looks like it is pushed on but it is a flush fit with nowhere to prise it off, as it is domed then it is also difficult to grab it to twist it. I have included photos below, if anybody can help I would appreciate it.

009.jpg010.jpg

Try turning the very top chrome part only to reveal the screwhead.

That is the part I am trying to remove, but it is solid. I have tried prising off but it doesn't move, I tried to grip it with a pair of grips and a piece of leather to protect but it just slipped off because it is domed. The lady is quite happy to put new taps on, but I am one that does not like throwing away something that still works, especially as she has 3 pairs on different basins. If I can get the cap off I can replace the washer and the planet will be saved.

Hi thanks for the tips, I tried the stanley knife but no luck. The problem with twisting it is that I couldn't get a grip on it, like I said grips and some leather just slipped off. I like the strap wrench idea, will probably still slip off but I will get one and give it a go. Aldi is about 10 miles away and they tend to have those sort of items as special buys, so they may not have them now. If I am passing near next week I will have a look.

Did you ever solve this, I have EXACTLY the same problem with the same taps. Have tried all routes with no success

Get a bit of rubber and lay it over the top domed part. Press down really hard with the palm of your hand and unscrew. It will come off.

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are off. Liberal amounts of WD40 and a 12 hour soak along with the above rubber trick

Thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Removing Tap cover in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock