Search the forum,

Discuss Removing twin valve radiator temporarily in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ALL,

I need to remove two twin valve radiators temporarily so I can decorate. There's limited info about this type of rad online, except to say they're rare and a bit old fashioned.

In my case, the ones I have also have an extra pipe running up from the twin valve fitting which I have not seen before. Does anyone recognise this?

Can I easily remove these rads temporarily? Or is it more complicated/ risky than doing the same for a standard radiator?

The house was only built in '97 so the radiators aren't that old. In terms of rarity, well I'm in Amsterdam so I don't know what's normal and what isn't here to be honest.

It'd be fantastic if anyone could advise on the best way to get these temporarily disconnected!

Cheers

TF

15541556_1829268127328917_2727175267849520308_n.jpg

15391021_1829268123995584_2238272267846042026_n.jpg

Not the easiest but down to you

On the (twin valve) right hand side there's a cap undo this and you should see an Allen slot
Turn this with the right sized Allen key all the way in (clockwise)

Now to the top valve do you know if this is a trv or a lockshield valve, if it's a lock shield valve top (white cover) should lift off may need a wiggle, or you can post another pic up

If it is just a lock shield valve just turn it (clock wise) with the white cover back on until it stops

Then open your drain off valve on the bottom left into a container should stop within about 1 min

Then open the air bleed screw (top left) wait till water stops, once the water has stopped shut these both

Then the fun begins

You need to undo the right two chrome nuts on the rad these will be tight

Also best advice have some towels underneath this part on the floor incase of drips and a bucket so you can empty what's left inside the rad once off

its upto you if you feel comfortable or better off get a heating engy/ plumber to remove and once your happy with your painting get him to refit

Last edited:
Not the easiest but down to you

On the (twin valve) right hand side there's a cap undo this and you should see an Allen slot
Turn this with the right sized Allen key all the way in (clockwise)

Now to the top valve do you know if this is a trv or a lockshield valve, if it's a lock shield valve top (white cover) should lift off may need a wiggle, or you can post another pic up

If it is just a lock shield valve just turn it (clock wise) with the white cover back on until it stops

Then open your drain off valve on the bottom left into a container should stop within about 1 min

Then open the air bleed screw (top left) wait till water stops, once the water has stopped shut these both

Then the fun begins

You need to undo the right two chrome nuts on the rad these will be tight

Also best advice have some towels underneath this part on the floor incase of drips and a bucket so you can empty what's left inside the rad once off

its upto you if you feel comfortable or better off get a heating engy/ plumber to remove and once your happy with your painting get him to refit

Great answer, thanks Shaun. Yeah, I'm happy to give most things a go but this sounds trickier than most.

I'll have another look in the morning and let you know if I go for it.

Cheers fella :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Removing twin valve radiator temporarily in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up & made safe for now, have had affected pipe cut & put end caps on. Work required Full bathroom remove old tiles walls and floor. Renew tiling. New...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I need to replace a radiator in the kitchen, the 10mm copper has split so using this opertunaty to replace it with a towel one and also need to remove both valves and make the pipes shorter. Its a gravity fed system and the last radiator in the system , I have a bung kit, i know i can...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to remove some radiators for redecorating and went to try and shut off the valves either side of my rad. I have TRV on one side and on the other side I noticed a blank top with no valve or peg sticking out that allows you to turn on or off (see pictures). I checked the other rads in...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, I hope someone might be able to help please. I hope this isn't a daft question. I am trying to remove the side panels on my radiator to get in to clean it, but they seem to be secured by a small screw underneath (on the valve housing). Can someone please advise me if I can just...
Replies
Views
D
Hi, This is the first flat I have lived in so please forgive any stupidity. I am currently renting a flat with a Glow-worm compact combi boiler. The flat for some reason does not have a thermostat and is relying souly on TRVs on all rads and a manual valve on the bathroom rad. However I have...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock